Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there has been a recent coolant leak thread but I haven't figured out what may have been the problem. I have pictures in my post as well.

Well, I recently dropped my bike before storing it for the winter and it leaked coolant, however it stopped I guess due to temperature reasons. So about a month later I go into my garage and I find a **** load of anti-freeze on the ground under where my headers are on the bike. Here are some of the pictures I took just recently.

Oh, don't mind the gas tank cover off. I was going to change my air filter.

I cleaned wiped up the coolant but you get the idea of how much was sitting there.

Found first leak

closer look

Now the 2nd leak

closer look

Do I need to replace the whole radiator hose? I couldn't find cracks in the hoses but only leaks where the tubed connect.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
It looks as though the hoses are just loose at the joins. Are the clamps tight? It might just be a case of tightening up the clamps with a screwdriver?

If the hoses are old and perished, or have stretched over time to the point where they can't be used to form a proper seal, then you might need to replace them. If you're saying that you can't notice any deterioration in the hose and they've not been remove/refitted or otherwise played with over the years then I'd find it odd that you're having problems like this.

It could be that something has made a very small puncture in the hose when you dropped the bike and you just can't see it. That, again, would be a hose replacement job.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tightened the one clamp in the last picture pretty tight, it actually started to leak more fluid and then stopped. It's a VERY slow leak now. Can you over tighten the clamps?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the main leak is in the 2nd picture. I tightened the clamps and still leaking slowly but still leaking. I actually loosened the clamp and removed it and checked the hose for cuts, no cuts so I put it back on. I don't know what the hell is going on here. I'm getting dumbfounded by this scenario.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I wonder if the temperature could be causing the hose to loosen and contract?

I know they are specifically designed to withstand heat but cold?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im about to just do a radiator flush and put new engine ice in it and see if the problem still occurs.I think it may be because the anti-freeze level is extremely low.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at it once again and found that there is microscopic tears in one end of the tube. I am just going to replace that piece and replace the clamps.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I tightened the one clamp in the last picture pretty tight, it actually started to leak more fluid and then stopped. It's a VERY slow leak now. Can you over tighten the clamps?
Yes, you most certainly can, and a lot of people do.

if the edge of the pipe starts to lift then you have over tightened it.

If you over tighten the clamp you will end up with leaks, what happens is the (plastic or metal) pipe that your hose is on expands, the clamp doesn't (it doesn't get exposed to as much heat), and it squashes the rubber hose, then it all cools, after a few cycles of this the rubber hose will have been completely crushed and leaks are likely to occur.

Correct:

Incorrect:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yes, you most certainly can, and a lot of people do.

if the edge of the pipe starts to lift then you have over tightened it.

If you over tighten the clamp you will end up with leaks, what happens is the (plastic or metal) pipe that your hose is on expands, the clamp doesn't (it doesn't get exposed to as much heat), and it squashes the rubber hose, then it all cools, after a few cycles of this the rubber hose will have been completely crushed and leaks are likely to occur.

Correct:

Incorrect:
wow never knew that. learn something new everyday i guess lol. just goes to show that no matter how stupid the problem or question, there is always a right and wrong way lol. i would have guessed to just keep tightening lol....

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
wow never knew that. learn something new everyday i guess lol. just goes to show that no matter how stupid the problem or question, there is always a right and wrong way lol. i would have guessed to just keep tightening lol....
IMO There are no stupid questions only stupid answers... to a point... :)

I don't mind answering questions that it seems everybody should know the answer to, just in case they are genuine.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts