Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm new to this forum but 2 weeks ago bought a 2003 honda cbr 600rr. Test rode it and everything. Bike starts evertime without a problem. Just recently I noticed that coolant is leaking out of the exhaust pipe, but only while running. I checked my coolant level and it is at the 1st line marker. If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
if this only happens during start up as the bike is getting to normal operating temps, then I'd say its condensation/moisture in the exhaust pipe & it's normal, especially on colder mornings. you'll see white "smoke" as the pipe heats the moisture. after a few minutes you'll see water droplets at the end of the can, but it burns off pretty quick.

if you're actually firing coolant out the exhaust then that's head gasket issues if I'm not mistaken. I was losing coolant out the exhaust on a car & it was caused by a blown head gasket. but if this was the case then you'd have overheating & compression issues too.

I think it's just moisture & your low coolant level is just a coincidence

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first pick was where it was leakin from yesterday. It is no longer leaking there today. I cranked it water or something was shooting oUT of the pipe but stopped shortly after. Yesterday though there was a small puddle and the smell was definitly coolant. Thanks guys. Waited and waited just now but not even a drip

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
if you're losing coolant, check all hoses, rad, reservoir, rad cap & water pump drain hole for signs of a leak. coolant can travel along hoses etc & settle elsewhere, only showing when you park the bike (puddles)

if its actually coming through the exhaust then there's a serious issue within the engine & you should take it to a mechanic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts