Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drained the coolant today and flushed the system. After refilling the radiator to the top with Honda HP coolant, I left the cap off and started the bike. Once the temperature hit around 180, the coolant level dropped. I let it run a whlie longer and once the fan turned on at 220, the coolant began spewing out from the opening. I immediately shut the bike off. So what happened? Was I not supposed to let it get that hot before blipping the throttle a few times? Hoping that's where I went wrong

·
Registered
148 Posts
The water pump turned on when the temp hit approx. 220. That's why the fluid started shooting out. That is normal. You need to have the cap on when it gets that hot.

D

·
0 Posts
What happened was you don't know how to refill a cooling system. When you let the coolant get up to 220* with no cap on, there's no pressure to resist boiling. You're supposed to blip the throttle when the thermostat is starting to open to circulate the coolant...about 50* less than what you let it heat up to.

DarkTint, the waterpump is always "on" when the bike is running. It doesn't turn off and on depending on the coolant temp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's when the thermostat opens up and allows the coolant to go into the engine passageways to cool it down. That's why the coolant level went down in the radiator.
I was aware of why this happens and was expecting it, as I've read a number of threads on how to flush a system and add new coolant. But in all the threads I read, not one of them mentioned anything about not letting the bike hit 220+. Live and learn, I guess. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts