Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'll try to explain this in as much detail as i can. I have a 2003 cbr 600rr. From what i've read the cooling fan is supposed to kick on at 220. It's gone up to 235 and the fan does not come on (i've shut it off after it gets that hot). However, the fan does work. It will come on around 140, but the temp will continue to climb, and shut off at 160. If i rev my bike past 4000 rpm's, the fan will come on but as soon as i let off, the fan stops. I am beyond puzzled with this and have no idea where to even start to attempt to fix this issue. The fan works, but yet won't come on when it's supposed to. Any and all help is def appreciated.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I can't do pics like a "how-to" but I can show you what you are looking for

http://images.motorcycleparts2u.com/xmoto-pics-1112/mp2u039121-2008-honda-cbr600rr-thermostat-housing.jpg

thats a complete thermostat assembly, the ECT sensor is the gold coloured part with the black connector.

to get to it you have to remove the throttle bodies as its under the fuel tank, there are "how-to's" on removing all the parts. or if you can, grab yourself a service manual, I believe these give you a step by step

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick question, but wouldn't the temp on the gauge not work if it was the ect? I saw a lot of posts about how people had problems with their ect but the temp gauge wasn't working.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
here's what I've read,

"if the fan works but is suspected of cutting in at the wrong temp, check the ECT sensor.....If the display as a whole works but the coolant function doesn't or is inaccurate, check the sensor"

you say in your first post the fan kicks in at 140 & cuts out at 160 on the display which is an inaccurate reading so I would check the ECT sensor.

you can check simpler things first like the fan fuses, the fan relay, the coolant level, the hoses etc. but since you say the fan works but at the wrong temp I'd suspect a faulty ECT sensor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help. While tinkering with it last night i saw a bent/cracked relay. Looked it up and it said it was the cooling fan relay. Swapped it with the f.i. relay since i knew the f.i. relay was good and sure enough the relay was shot. Gonna pick up a relay tomorrow and go from there. I'm hoping it was that simple.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks for all your help. While tinkering with it last night i saw a bent/cracked relay. Looked it up and it said it was the cooling fan relay. Swapped it with the f.i. relay since i knew the f.i. relay was good and sure enough the relay was shot. Gonna pick up a relay tomorrow and go from there. I'm hoping it was that simple.
I thought a faulty relay would have made the fan not work at all. but if it is just the relay then bonus

keep us posted

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got the new relay and still has the same issue. Looks like i'll be calling up my local bike shop and ordering that ect sensor and going from there.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Did you check you wire connection? Faulty surge....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Put the new ect sensor in and still having the same issue. I'm getting to wits end with this about now....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts