Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As far as I know the reason for Iridium spark plugs is specified in a stock engine is because of the service interval.
Furthermore Iridium is more resistant on high performance engines (with much higher compression than stock).

I will postulated that copper is the most electric leading material for spark plugs and if the service interval doesn't matter for me. I think I will choose those copper ones. Of course with same thread size and heating range as original specified. They are cheaper to.

So here is my question: Have anyone tried this or does anyone have some concerns about it?

My bike is a cbr600rr 2007 specified with NGK IMR9-9HES
and I will like to use NGK CR9EIX

I am a new user, looking forward to hear your comments. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've done it with other bikes in the past that called for iridium and have heard, felt and seen no difference in using the copper ones.

Having said that I personally buy what is called for by the manufacturer every time now; the wallet sting only last a short time and digging them in and out sucks enough I don't want to do it any more than I have to.

Keep in mind, though, the plugs are tiny, the head is aluminum and the thread pitch very fine so they are easy to cross thread and over tighten. The more you take them in and out the easier it is to get it wrong and, well, you know the rest.

Mike

·
Registered
445 Posts
Iridium is specified because changing plugs is a pain in the ass.

Why do you want to use copper? Iridium last many many times longer.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Why do you want to use copper? Iridium last many many times longer.
Not to answer for the OP but my guess is while he is mentioning the electrical properties of copper, it's cost: copper plugs are like $5 each, iridium are about $20 each.

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody.

The reason why i considering using copper ones is that they are cheaper but also because in theory the spark should be better. Copper is a better electric conductor then most materials including iridium and platinium.
So performance wise it should be better. Copper is less resistant to heat and wear therefore the service interval is lower. But for me it is no problem to change them every season.

Thanks for the inputs. as far i can see i am not completely wrong ;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not to answer for the OP but my guess is while he is mentioning the electrical properties of copper, it's cost: copper plugs are like $5 each, iridium are about $20 each.

Mike
Yeah, and iridium last like 8x as long. It's a no brainer.

But hey, if you like taking your bike apart to replace spark plugs for fun, go for it.

I'd rather save the money and stop wasting my time, to boot.

edit:
you know it's only iridium on the tip, right?

#justthetip

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
The performance envelope of the engine and ECU is designed around a controlled plug; I'd never go outside the material or range unless I had engine work done and knew what I was doing.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I would use whatever is recommended in the service manual.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
NGK CR9EIX is an iridium tipped spark plug just like the original NGK IMR9C-9HES, I've used the CR9EHIX9 before switching to the original after it started to misfire, bought a CR10EIX plugs because I need colder for my modded engine.

·
Maynard
7,061 Posts
Nitpicking here. I'm pretty sure you're talking about the IMR9E-9HES not IMR9-9HES because the latter isn't listed in my NGK catalog. The IMR9C-9HES are a tad cheaper than the IMR9E-9HES..

Otherwise all IMR9E-9HES, IMR9C-9HES, CR9EIX and CR9EHIX9 have iridium tips and copper core material

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
So there is no difference between those two?
internally there are none, externally it's quite obvious.

NGK CR9EIX & CR10EIX are full thread sparkplugs.

the last 2 are 2/3 thread sparkplugs which are exclusive for Honda CBR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts