Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rode one of my buddy's 03 GSXR600 today and... MAN.... that thing just wants to lean over. I mean even making turns on the street felt like it kept leaning more and more and with little effort to. Now my RR on the other hand... I feel like I kinda have to force it to lean and when it does it feels like it wants to straighten back up.

This may be a stupid question but... is this how the RR is supposed to handle? or could there be something wrong with how I'm turning?

I counter steer to get my inital lean but then it feels like it wants to straighten back up and I'd have to keep on counter steering. I barely had to counter steer on the Gixxer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,375 Posts
lol, the RR will lean bro, you might have bald tires compared to his, or your suspension is set up like crap. I out lean most people at the track with the 600RR, even 04 GSXR 600's :p
 

·
Brown at your service
Joined
·
3,493 Posts
Get some Pilot Powers and we won't have to keep hearing garbage like this. If not go get a Sukzuki.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,375 Posts
Pilot powers? HAH, get a Michelin PRC front tire, lol... its like a friggen triangle, amazing tire....

You can only buy it at the track tho :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cling said:
lol, the RR will lean bro, you might have bald tires compared to his, or your suspension is set up like crap. I out lean most people at the track with the 600RR, even 04 GSXR 600's :p
ahhhhhhh... that could be it. he's got a new tire on and mine IS kinda slightly bald. worn out more in the center but no chix strips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Pilot Powers are good, but they are definately NOT the steepest profile tire out there.

lol at the PRC...definately shaped like a triangle, but probably not the best tire on the street.

Take a look at the Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs. Pirellis definately have a steeper profile that the PPs and make for a quicker turn-in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,375 Posts
Yeah, if you just ride on the street get some Michelin Pilot Powers and ahnd your friends asses to them. The PP is a very triangulated tire, you will love it for the street and twisty backroads, very safe tire also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
cling said:
lol, the RR will lean bro, you might have bald tires compared to his, or your suspension is set up like crap. I out lean most people at the track with the 600RR, even 04 GSXR 600's :p
I agree it is probably your suspension settings. Get the settings dialed in and you will feel a world of difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
Yeah suspension settings or low tire pressure will cause it too. I check my tire pressure at least once a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Yeah Bro I agree to all of the above....I have rode a number of buddies gixxers and they do handle very different. I agree it is as if they want to turn "more" than you give them...but to me and as well as others who agree, our 600rr's have that "neutral" feel ! Especially with the weight distribution and mass centralization. After a week of borrowing a friends GIXX, I enjoyed it and forgot how my 600rr felt, then I got back on, and was glad I had my bike ! ITS THAT ROCK SOLID FEEL IN THE CORNER THAT GIVES YOU CONFIDENCE THAT YOU CAN GO FASTER IN A CORNER AND EVERYTHING WILL BE OK !!!

On the other hand, I am sure the '06 may have some improvements, but yes...the '04 and'03 have that feel of more turn imo, nice in their own way. Still awesome bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,407 Posts
time on bike shouldnt matter-same rider on different bikes, feeling differences between the bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rrcbr2004 said:
Yeah Bro I agree to all of the above....I have rode a number of buddies gixxers and they do handle very different. I agree it is as if they want to turn "more" than you give them...but to me and as well as others who agree, our 600rr's have that "neutral" feel ! Especially with the weight distribution and mass centralization. After a week of borrowing a friends GIXX, I enjoyed it and forgot how my 600rr felt, then I got back on, and was glad I had my bike ! ITS THAT ROCK SOLID FEEL IN THE CORNER THAT GIVES YOU CONFIDENCE THAT YOU CAN GO FASTER IN A CORNER AND EVERYTHING WILL BE OK !!!

On the other hand, I am sure the '06 may have some improvements, but yes...the '04 and'03 have that feel of more turn imo, nice in their own way. Still awesome bikes.
Glad to hear someone understands what I'm talking about.


Mister Dirt said:
b4 i say anything about the bike.... how long have u been riding??
I've been riding for over a year now. The RR was my first bike so I might have wore down the center of the rear tire my first few months of riding.

I'm 155lbs so the suspension is still pretty much stock since stock is kinda setup for that weight. I think??
 

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
Tires... The profile of the tire will greatly determine how well the bike "falls". PPs have a tall profile for the front tire, reminiscent of the GP tire. Some people like that feeling, some others would rather be in control of the bike's tip in. To each his own. But yeah, first thing I thought of when I read your post: Tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
My buddies 04 gixxer 600 leans easier too. He has stock Dunlops on it. The 04's have a stock steering damper so that could be part of it. Also I think the center of gravity is a little higher on the gixxer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Johnny Candles said:
My buddies 04 gixxer 600 leans easier too. He has stock Dunlops on it. The 04's have a stock steering damper so that could be part of it. Also I think the center of gravity is a little higher on the gixxer.
Yeah his 03 also had a stock steering damper. I think I need a steering damper, new tires, and retune my suspension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cling said:
if you have an 05-06 600RR I can give you great stock suspension settings because I am also 155lb
Yeah mine's a 05 600RR. That'd be awsome dood. I've been wanting to retune my suspension but have no way of getting the weight off the suspension so I can measure the sag. Was thinking of balancing it on the kickstand (like the kickstand turn) and measure it but have nobody to do the measuring. PM me your settings if you can. I'll give it a try this weekend.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top