Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter/Next spring, I'm going to be looking for a cbr '04-6ish 600rr for a track only bike. I want to stick to the cbr frame so i can relate to it with my '08rr. It won't be insured and I probably won't even register it. I don't care about aftermarket stuff either. Just a stock bike and I'm going to invest in a set of race plastics. that's about it. I want it to be a reliable track bike though lol.

What am I looking at getting myself into? I'm pretty good with basic mechanics. have been scouring craigslist the past week to get an idea of what kind of bikes i could possibly start with. everything i see that i think would be a good start is around 4k+.

Taking my current bike out on the track is not an option. I won't be able to ride as hard as I would want to unless I had a bike that it wouldn't piss me off to drop it cause it won't cost an arm and a leg to get it on 2 wheels again.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Thats what I wanted, a cheap trackbike....but it doesn't really happen. You start upgrading sh*t to get faster, and before you know it you've got another $3-4K into it...:dontknow:

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
why not just get track parts for your street bike? if you're just gonna keep it stock, used track plastics shouldn't be too much to come by. after that all you need really is safety wire, oil, and tires

·
Registered
71 Posts
buy an already set up track bike. You can get one for 2-3k with all the goodies on them already. If staying cheap is what your goal is, then I would def say that buying an old race/track day bike is your best bet.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
^^+1 You can find plenty of already set up track bikes for cheap.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
been said, but ya i agree. buy one thats already done!! way cheaper. you will get more trinkets on one thats already wired and got a PC and exhaust and rearsets and body work!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i understand. i really dont want to pay extra for the street legal stuff anyway. as long as it comes with a title and runs good idc lol.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
doesnt even need a street title, if you find a salvage titled one you may save a bit of money.

you guys in the US are way luckier then us in Canada, way more people, way more crashed bikes!! way more race bikes for sale LoL

·
Registered
71 Posts
doesnt even need a street title, if you find a salvage titled one you may save a bit of money.

you guys in the US are way luckier then us in Canada, way more people, way more crashed bikes!! way more race bikes for sale LoL
to be honest, you dont even NEED a title at all. A lot of trackbikes are bought and sold with just a bill of sale.

If you are dead set on a 600rr look for 07+, they are much better on the track than the older ones.

Also, try to find a bike with aftermarket suspension if you can. Buying and setting up the suspension is very expensive, so if the bike already has it you will definitely save some coin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, my wife gave me the green light to do it. I'm going to try and do it cheap next year with an inexpensive 1piece and boots. Just wanna get my feet wet. I've been out to the track in vegas plenty of times and it looks like so much fun.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
We should start calling him and asking. We could probably make him take the add down and just scrap the bike. lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts