Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would always like to keep my bike covered so it doesnt attract attention in our garage structure, but after riding it takes a really long time for the engine to cool down.

the exhaust and everything is all fine but the actual engine/clutch (not sure what its exact name is, but its outlined in the picture) is still hot after 2-3 even 4 not sure i never actually looked at the time.

the temp gauge while i ride stays in the normal range so im guessing everything is normal.

and if this is normal is it ok to cover my bike even though its still hot?
doesnt burn my hand but i cant keep my hand on it for more than 3-5 seconds.

D

·
0 Posts
2-3, even 4 what?
No, you shouldn't cover your bike when it's hot. You have to wait for it to be ice cold otherwise the heat from the bike will create an oven type effect and cook the electronics on your bike and melt the plastics and tires.

But seriously, you can cover the bike no problem as soon as you get back from a ride. No need to let it cool down.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd wait until you can touch the normal 'hot bits' :73: by hand - your cover will last longer that way.

By this - 1st the clutch engine cover & 2nd the exhaust under the seat.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I cover my bike right after I ride. I park outside and my bike will get really dirty if I don't cover it. It doesn't seem to be a problem. The engine/exhaust has not burned my cover. My bike stays nice and clean.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I think it depends on they type of cover you get. The "dust covers" are pretty weak and won't be waterproof so I avoid those ones. There are waterproof covers that are a little flimsy and I'd be worried the hot engine would melt or burn the inside of the cover. Then there's the heavy duty or deluxe covers that you can put on your bike immediately after riding. They usually have thicker material as well as additional heat resistant materials where the hot spots are to avoid melting and burning. Some of them even have vents at the top to release moisture and hot air on summer days.

Here's a link to the different kinds.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/247/MNGR/Motorcycle-Covers.aspx
I looked on the Honda USA and Canada sites and they only had a lame dust cover. You'll probably have to get an aftermarket one.

D

·
0 Posts
I throw my cover on my bike immediately after I'm done riding. I don't like anyone looking at her. Been doing it for a year now and I haven't had any problems yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts