Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've read that you can TIG weld it, but I wouldn't personally trust it. The block is cast aluminum, which is porous by nature and since it's already leaking, it's surely impregnented with oil.

Look at it this way, if it starts leaking again while you're riding and you take a fast turn, it's your life on the line. I'd personally start looking at another motor.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
doesn't matter if there is oil in it or not if you are going to weld it, that'll burn right out on the pre heat up to aluminums welding temp. And yeah, you can weld it but aluminum is a whore when it comes to TIG, and I would only have a pro do it. I certainly would not use any kind of epoxy filler like JB weld, because if that gets into the oil, or lets go at any point your screwed. I'd research a new engine as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the story is not that great, I dropped the bike doing like 45, and there is a very small crack right under the stator cover, on the block. I was thinking driaing all the oil drying it out, cleaning it with carborator cleaner and some alum or steel epoxy. i think this would hold, did a similar thing to my rx-7. I'll post some pictures tonight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts