Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 05 600rr that has ~40K miles on it. With winter coming up (as well as more free time as I will only have work- not work AND school), I have been thinking of swapping out the motor or rebuilding mine. After some research on ebay, it may be hard to find a complete used bottom end. I was trying to avoid separating and re-mating the crank case by just replacing any external seals and rebuilding the top end.

I may not have that option after looking at ebay for a while, so have any of you separated and mated the crankcase on this bike before? Is it a PITA? The lead service tech said it may not be worth it.

(PS: Does the 03-04 bottom end work with an 05-06 top end? I know they have different part numbers, but I figured I might ask, anyway.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really anything other than high mileage. Its more of me wanting to prevent any issues due to high mileage (read: peace of mind, whether its real or just perceived) and being bored over winter, as well as getting to know the CBR better.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Idk no man theres no need for anything your wanting to do.. youll get no peace of mind your motor is good for well over 40k lol

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
I promise you that once you crack into it you will constantly worry about the work you did. Nobody can assemble that engine as well as Honda did at the factory. Once it's been opened it will never be the same. 40k isn't exactly miled out. If it still runs strong and doesn't use oil there's no reason to rip it apart

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"High Mileage": #'s much larger than what I am used to seeing on a sport bike. My 'high mileage' may very well not actually be high mileage. In this case, I'm talking a little over 40k.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2005 cbr600rr with 110,000kms and she runs strong and doesn't burn any oil. Only engine work I have ever had done was valves where checked and still in spec at 90,000km and had the replace the cam chain Tensioner. Went with the APE manual one.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
I'm at 80,000 track and street miles on my RR, no burning, still pulls hard, sounds healthy. Only had to adjust the valves once. These motors are tanks. Keep the oil changed, and up to date on valve checks, and they'll go for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I just clicked over 40,000km on my 03 CBR. Only thing I need to get is CCT. Just going to get an APE one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts