Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a little accident more than a month ago, then took the bike apart to fix some stuff. about two to three weeks ago i put some stuff on and started the bike, and it worked, but i didnt ride it. I took everything back off again to fix my turn signal and put the upper cowl back on last week and the bike wouldnt turn over, but it does crank.

I put the battery on the trickle charger and that didnt work. then I tried to bump start it and that didnt work either. Any ideas what I should check for? fuses maybe?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Check your roll over sensor, you may have put it in up-side-down. Other then that, just make sure all the plugs are connected securely.

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
if its an '07 its the battery. i also hooked mine up to a trickle charger and it still didn't start. i finally jumped it off my wife's car, it took awhile to get it started but it finally did.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
try holding the throttle all the way open, etc... per the manual. you may have flooded it a bit when you started it briefly without riding it...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
OK OK... Lets start at the beginning. When you turn on your bike... do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds.

If not then you may have forgotten to hook up something under the front fairing like your BAS.

If the fuel pump does run... then do what Dr. Gofast said.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have tried both your suggestions, and nothing worked. the pump does prime when i hit the kill switch. But where is the BAS? you got a pic of it and how it is supposed to be

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If the fuel pump primed... then the BAS is correct. So that's not the problem.
It does crank... so the battery is, at least, good enough.

If the fuel pump primes... then all the engine sensors are connected. If there are no FI codes... then they are all working. To double check for FI codes... Hold the start button for like 15 sec... If the FI light doesn't flash a code... then everything is Ok. ( the motor has to spin for a min. amount of time to sense an error and flash the code, even if it is with the starter spinning the motor)

So... Fuel pump primes... Bat is good... I'd start looking at the spark.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
do i turn the killswitch on or leave it off? and where will the code be?
Switch on like you're trying to start the bike. If you turn the kill switch off then back on... the fuel pump should prime again. That's when you want to try to start it if it doesn't fire... do the the 15 sec. thing.
FI light is a red led inside the cluster... Labeled FI.

Long blink is 10 and a short blink is 1... so 2 long and 3 short blinks is code 23.

Let us know.

·
Registered
962 Posts
No, when you look at your tack when you turn your key getting ready to turn the bike on... thats when the FI light should come on your tack. If the FI light doesnt appear, you probably flooded it or your spark plugs are F'd up. So give it a bit of throttle when trying to start it. Also make sure your kickstand is down when looking for the trouble code

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im sorry, i must be an idiot cuz i dont understand this code thing. I tried holding the starter for 15 sec but the engine just cranks and it doesnt do anything. although when the bike is turned on with the killswitch off, the FI light comes on. when I hit the killswtich to turn it on so i can start the bike, the light goes away

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it just started for a quick second, then it shut off also. it reved high but i guess thats because i had the throttle wide open. after holding the starter for a few seconds the battery started to die also

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
im sorry, i must be an idiot cuz i dont understand this code thing. I tried holding the starter for 15 sec but the engine just cranks and it doesnt do anything. although when the bike is turned on with the killswitch off, the FI light comes on. when I hit the killswtich to turn it on so i can start the bike, the light goes away
The light being off is fine... you want everything on and if there is a code... it will flash it. If you see nothing after the 15 sec. thing... you're fine. (as far as a code goes)

Recharge you Bat and try it again. If no code... then we'll start troubleshooting from there.

Last thing... where do you live?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If the bike doesn't start and you want to know if there is a code... you do what you have to do. You only need to do it once. If you mess up... let the starter cool for IDK 15 Min. then do it again.

I've never heard of one of these starters wearing out or breaking, so I guess they're pretty tough. And my advice of the 15 sec thing comes from the Honda shop. I had a starting problem and that's what they said to do to find out if there is a code. Maybe they wanted me to burn up the starter too and have them fix everything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts