Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding for about 2years now and have always heard that its not if your gonna go down its when. and i believe this to be true. my question is when the inevitable happens (you take a spill) what do you do when you hit the ground. I know there is many factors that play in on this subject (speeed, location ect..) but in general do you roll up in a ball and tumble, do you relax and slide, i have no clue? anyone have any ideas or have some first hand knowlege. any advice besides trying not to sh#t my pants would be comforting. thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i'm not sure as i am a newbie myself, but having watched some crash videos (pro & non-pro), i'd say that you let yourself slide with gears taking all the impact until you come to a stop. i think it looks much safer that way IMO. but if you are unlucky and start tumbling, you have to roll yourself using some judo techniques for your own safety. i don't think holding against that force won't do any good..

but then again, i'm a newbie and never crashed.. so let's hear what the experts would say. i'd like to know as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I dont know that there is a whole lot you can do. I went down a while back and I just kinda rolled over on my back and slid. I stuck my hands out on the road to try and stop myself a little quicker but I dont really know that that was a good idea. If possible I would say try to make sure you dont slam into anything like a telephone pole or something. Just ride responsibly and wear your gear...thats about all any of us can do.

·
Registered
595 Posts
When you see motoGP guys lowside you see them keep their hands close to their chests as they slide on their back. Most people don't have time to think about it when they go down...they are up one minute and down the next. on the track you might be ok to think while you are sliding, on the street you have to be thinking about cars, guardrails and a whole lot of other stuff.

back to your question. i think making yourself into a ball is a bad idea. you will force yourself to go rolling and flipping. relaxing could get your arm broken or dislocated if you get rolled with your arms out. there is no good way to go down...just hope for a lowside slide and let go of the bike.

i'm no help at all, just a post whore :bitchslap:

·
Registered
307 Posts
go watch some crash vidoes in video/picture forum.. you might get some ideas... or it may just freak you out as it did to me. literally you are ejected from the bike and keep rolling, slidering, twisting helplessly. i think a quick reflex judgement will help, but in some cases not that much.

personally i think using hands is not a good way to stop in general as it may break your arm. but at slower speed, i guess it can help.

c'mon experts, where are u?

·
Registered
566 Posts
You generally just slide. I found that I was sat on my ass at 60mph thinking "so this is what it's like when they come off in a race". Dumb, but you simply react. There's little point worrying about it, it'll happen so quickly, you'll only analyse it two days later.

I know a guy who's been riding for 14 years, and a good one too. Never come off, or even dropped it.

All you can do is stack the odds in your favour: advanced training, good gear, and always ride within your comfort zone. On the road, at least.
;-)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Think loose. Know why drunk drivers never seem to get hurt in accidents?.....cause their reflexes are slowed and they don't tense up. This is so much easier said then done especially as your body is cartwheeling....pavement-sky-pavement!

·
Registered
525 Posts
when i lowsided in that gravel, i held on to the bike as long as i could before the frame slider dug into the ground and flipped the bike over, yanking it out of my grip. after that i just slide sort of on my shoulder on my back until i stopped.

why did i hold on to the bike? i don't know. seemed like a good idea at the time. why did i just stay on my back/shoulder? i don't know. seemed like a good idea. i didn't have much time to think about how i was falling, because by the time i realized i was crashing, i had already come to a stop and was jumping up and down being pissed off at dropping my bike.

so basically, you go with the flow and do whatever. you do whatever it is you instinctively do when you think you're about to die...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Man...seriously. If you are in the street and get flung off your bike...do not...I repeat DO NOT let your limbs flail about. My father is an orthopedic surgeon, and many times he has told be about cases where the motorcylcist flies through the air (usually at an intersection) after being hit and his arm / leg is cut off by a car window. Keep your limbs in if you get tossed in the street!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
No......get away from the bike!!! A slow lowside is not to dangerous, but your first instinct needs to be to push the bike away. If the thing digs in and starts acting like it's on the US gymnastics team you don't want to be around. I had a friend in highschool set to become a superstar in MX, big time sponsers and what not. Snapped his spine when the bike started tumbling on top of him!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts