Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I always keep the rubber side down

Votes: 93 30.7%

• Total voters
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Had an accident in March this year, due to a negligent driver. Luckily it worked out well for me, and insurance pinned them.

Was nearly 2.5 years since I first started riding to the day of the accident, did about 50,000 km in that time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Started riding in 2010 on a CBR f2, crashed 4 months after learning to ride. My story is a little different though...

I was following a friend in a car at night, followed him into a LH turn lane down a short side street, and he suddenly decided to veer right, back into traffic. I head checked to see if I could turn back in as well, and I turned around and the white line separating the turn lane had become a small white median, as I was still doing the speed limit lol. I hit the corner of it hoping to do some wild GTA jump back into traffic, and high sided. I was fine and I rode the bike home.

Have logged over 20k since then and haven't been down since

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Update, been riding 3 years now. Almost 2 on the 250, rest on the 600. No accidents yet. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
On prior 300R - Car decided to reversed into me when he changed his mind last minute to get into left turn lane. Said he didn't see me. Not at fault.

9 -10 months after getting motorcycle license and getting new 300R with no incidents, not even a near-drop.

Sucked big time, and led me to get into a 600RR for a change.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Almost afraid to jinx it, but by your standards I think I qualify for "always keep the rubber side down".

That's not to say my bikes have never fallen over. I've gone through more than a bike per year in my 6 years of motorcycling.. all but two of them never fell over on my watch. And those were the ones that I bought and sold within a few months.

The others either fell over while I was washing or working on them, were vandalized in a public parking structure, or put down for a nap ever so gently when I stalled on a driveway---doing minimal damage. My next door neighbor once backed into my FJR, bumping and rolling it off the kickstand. I was home, heard the crunch, and discovered her trying to lift this 700 lb "scooter" by herself.. I guess she thought I wouldn't notice? Long story short: Most people don't understand motorcycles. Especially ignorant people.

And just last month another neighbor decided to throw it into reverse in the middle of the street (saw a great parking spot, but not me in his rearview) and backed into me on my Ninja 300. Must have heard me yelling "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" (didn't think to use the horn.. happened too fast) because he stopped soon after his rear bumper dug into my front end. Kept it upright, but damn.. that was scary. I blame myself to some extent for not giving him a wider berth, knowing that my street is basically treated as a parking lot.

Ride carefully.. it's a jungle out there!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can I change my vote? :banghead:

I finally had my first crash! This was back last June. My ambition clearly outweighed my talent.

Was up on Angeles Crest Hwy tuning up my new suspension setup.. Penske 8987 w/ AMA kit + GP 25mm cartridges. And riding well beyond my safety margin. Or at least beyond my capabilities at that moment. This is why we have track days. And this is why we must remember that public roads are not the proper venue to push our limits. There's no runoff!

I got incredibly lucky to escape with only a broken left thumb.. got off the brakes and back on the gas too early in a decreasing radius turn, started to run wide and then got target fixated ("better not go into that rocky ditch!") and then went body-surfing through said rocky ditch. Slid to a stop mere feet from the edge of a guard rail. Super lucky. I had been experimenting with geometry and the new setup demanded lots more front end loading, trail braking---not my forte. Again, public roads are not the proper venue!

That morning I was getting very frustrated trying to set-up the GoPro.. ultimately gave up, but should have recognized the signs of fatigue, lack of focus. And mere minutes before the crash I caught myself a few times stiff-arming the bars. The signs were there.. Listen to your instincts!

181 - 192 of 192 Posts