Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a credit card cause i currently dont have one. I order a good amount of stuff off-line (secure orders only) and its always a hassle to order stuff when I have to use my girlfriends credit card or my dads.

So let me know guys... which are the best companies to deal with and some of your preferences....

By the way what do you all think of Citi??

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
you can always start with pay pal visa which is basically issued thru providian that is a good way to start until you credit is built then you can try the major companies like citibank , discover , amex

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
no money down no fees either and you get pay pal protection as well
if the seller accepts pay pal then you can use the card to make your purchases if not a regular credit card has to be used for all the stuff that i bought on ebay i used my pay pal visa as my payment source :supz:

H

·
0 Posts
jsut look for the rates, fees, and things of that nature..

bank of america
household
amex (blue)
discover
capital one
citi
chase
etc

they all do the same thing... like i said check the rates, fees, features

for me i do not care about features.. no time for it.. i look for low rates.. and no fees.. i will never take a card with annual fees or anything like that

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have been working in credit cards for a year as a second job, check what your rates will be after the introductory period and make a decision so you wont be suprised, also, most cards are waiving annual program fees to get more people to apply. capitol one is good to start, also check with whatever bank you are with and see what they can do for you, they will be most likely to give you the best rates because you have history built with them. another thing to keep in mind is if you are planning on spending and then paying it off in full EVERY month, interest rates dont mean anything. good luck with your search

·
Registered
42 Posts
get your credit card through your bank, I can manage my checking, savings, credit, and loan all on one page online, its damn convienent

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do not get Capital One. Get Citi, Chase, or MBNA for the first card. Cap1 is pretty shady IMO. If you have no credit history you should be able to get a starter card from one of the major banks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just get a debit visa card, a few people I know can't handle credit cards, plus who wants to be paying on something you bought last year now. I actually don't have a true credit card, I pay cash for everything, if I can't afford it at the time, I don't really need it. The only charge card I have is a Victoria's Secret, but it's worth it.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
I love Citi.

I have both a Visa and an Mastercard with them.

I get 5-7% back on all gas, convenience store, and grocery purchases. and 1-3% back on everything else.

They also have excellent online banking, which was key.

No annual fees, but their rates are only middle of the road.

·
Registered
501 Posts
my only beef with citi is that no matter how much I tell them, their telemarketers keep calling me just about every week to try to talk me into some new program. every week for the first six months I'd get a call thanking for going with them and congratulating me on my new card..."now, if you have a minute we'd like to talk to you about..." LEAVE ME ALONE!

·
Deeze
1,160 Posts
Liquid said:
Almost all banks give out free debit cards with their checking accounts. I don't believe in spending money I don't have so thats all I use. Says mastercard on it so everyone accepts it as one but it takes money from my bank accnt. wrx out for me. *shrug*
Wow, if I didn't spend money I don't have I wouldn't have $hit. I.E. House, cars, bike....etc

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Most credit card companies out there today are pretty good...just watch out CLOSELY for the interest rates and if theres any hidden fees, the little pamphlet included with their ad will usually tell you everything you need to know. My best customer support has by far been with MBNA...some jerk off stole my credit card number 2 years ago, racked up 5000 dollars in charges, then split leaving me the bill. They wiped the debt out, pretty much no questions asked.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I'd suggest not getting a credit card that is linked in any way to your bank account. While you shouldn't ever be late or payments, if you are and your CC is connected to your bank, some will take the liberty of making the payment for you, locking your bank account down, or other crap like that. It's happened to a couple folks I know.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've been using a CC tied to a bank accnt on the net for about four years now. Same card, same bank account.. Even been using online bill pay for a few years. But I'm just a statistic I know. The banks (most of the time) have a lot of the same regulations and security policies that credit cards do. I'm not worried about it. The internet isn't where 90% of people get their **** stolen. It's the guy on the other side of the counter.

As for the whole, can't buy a bike, car, house, without gettign financed crap. Ya got me there. Had some land financed back in the day. Since then I havn't borrowed money I didn't have. I've always worked the system to get what I want without owing someone for it. I don't have a lot but what I do have is mine =). I enjoy seeing the lein free title to my '05 on the wall. Half my family is retarded and deep in debt. I won't be cought in that situation.

I might have to finance a house tho', We'll see how that goes. :axe:

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I didn't have ANY credit until I was 20. I decided to go with a Capital One card with a $300 limit and charged up stupid crap I could pay off easily. It's worked well and my credit is pretty good, other than the fact my accounts haven't been open for long enough yet.

I basically treated my credit card like a debit card, just charging stuff I would pay off RIGHT AWAY. I didn't buy anything I couldn't afford.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Schwing said:
I didn't have ANY credit until I was 20. I decided to go with a Capital One card with a $300 limit and charged up stupid crap I could pay off easily. It's worked well and my credit is pretty good, other than the fact my accounts haven't been open for long enough yet.

I basically treated my credit card like a debit card, just charging stuff I would pay off RIGHT AWAY. I didn't buy anything I couldn't afford.
Thats how your supposed to do it from what I understand.

My bank would give me money if I needed it so cash works for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts