Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Cropdusters Track bike resurrection

9K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  Cropduster 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm a middle aged guy who is not getting any younger, i get the impression i'm a LOT older than most members here but that's ok.
I've decided to do a few track days and my road bikes are too pretty/expensive to flog on the track, so.......

I went looking for an ideal middleweight track bike, some mates ride 250 proddy bikes, RGV's RS Aprilias etc but i'm a 4 stroke guy, and I'm not keen on constant rebuilds. The Honda seemed the perfect choice, cheap, fast, bulletproof reputation and best of all pretty easy to work on. decided I needed an RR, preferably 07 on, and I found this.

It's a TenKate WSS bike that was 1 of 3 built for Sunstate Honda who raced it in the Australian championship for two years (5th overall) as well as guest rides in WSS rounds at Phillip Island, ridden by Judd Greedy. I bought it as you see in the pic, fresh new bodywork with a tribute paint job to Judd who has sadly passed away.

Being one to not put my faith in others i thought it best to strip it and make sure everything was fine before flogging it senseless on the track, to that end it is now a bare frame, i will update my build as i go, for those interested ask what you will, I'll answer what I can but I'm learning as I go so I'll likely be asking questions as well, i appreciate the help i've received so far, so thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've stripped it to a bare frame, it's off to the powder coaters, the rest of the bike is in pieces across my shed, the engine has had a compression test and come up good, i've checked the clearances and replaced the CCT while i'm at it along with new plugs, oil and filter.

The Engine isn't the TenKate one it was supplied with, that was returned after the end of the lease agreement at the end of each year, it has a std road engine in it which has been recently dyno'ed at 118hp, pretty good! I think a lot of that has to do with the HRC ECU and the Arrow Inconel TenKate exhaust system as well as a total lack of anything needed for compliance/road use.

Given i'm getting on and no longer bounce like a rubber ball, i'm not planning on setting any stupid fast lap times, i'm looking to enjoy myself without the worry of getting a ticket, if i'm mid pack in the intermediate group i'll be content, and while i don't plan on crashing (who does right?) i'll not be pushing hard enough to risk myself too much so i'll be tidying the bike and bringing it back to a tidy but useable state, my thinking is to make it as close to how it was delivered as a race bike when new, some battle scars will remain, it is an ex race bike after all but i'm not going for a full on top spec race bike of today with Brembo radials Carrozerias etc, as nice as they are i'm trying to keep it period correct.

Attachments

#3 ·
Progress
Frame, triple clamp lower, sub frame, clutch perch, throttle assembly. powder coaters
Swingarm. Painters
Wheels. stripped. to be coated, probably black gloss
Exhaust. Has been ceramic coated, bugger! dunno what to do here, apparently it's a bastard to strip it, might get it redone.....
Engine. Compression test done, 200psi, Valve clearances checked, OK, new plugs, oil and filter.
Suspension. WP factory gear issued to TenKate, rear shock recently serviced, forks will have the oil replaced, setup already for 80kg rider, i'm 80kg suited up, WIN!
Wiring loom, tidied up, rewrapped.
Airbox, new K&N air filter
Brakes, cleaned, need new pads, front M/Cyl and hoses just because i'm fussy about brakes......

Wishlist
Lightech rearsets
EVR Slipper clutch
HM Quickshifter (suit the HRC Wiring loom)
HRC Big Radiator
Armour Bodies body work and a nice paintjob

As i pulled it apart i noticed some trick stuff, the wheels have captive spacers, the swingarm has a relocated caliper for quick wheel changes and the adjuster blocks are captive too. there's nothing to the loom, it's tiny, very light and minimalist, and the suspension looks like off the shelf stuff but the service guy who worked on it tells me it's completely different internally, the rear shock took 8 weeks to service because he had to order parts from WP and wait for them.

It's going to be a long wait to ride this thing.....

#4 ·
"...and my road bikes are too pretty/expensive to flog on the track..."
Sounds like this one will be in the same category when you're done! Nice work!
Just got back from the track. Don't think your alone! Not sure what your middle age is, but I'll be 55 in a couple months. Adrenaline is addictive at any age! Cheers!

#5 ·
Probably!
I hope not, the wife says i'm OCD, she's probably right but i can't own anything that looks neglected or uncared for, used hard is ok, signs of wear and tear is ok, crash damage, abuse, neglect, nope, can't live with it.

I'm 50, and glad i'm not the only one here getting up there!

#7 ·
My Subframe and Frame have been returned from the powdercoaters, i've installed new steering head bearings, tapered roller type rather than the original ball/cage and i'm currently waiting on the new shim bolts and lock washers to arrive so i can marry the frame and engine.

In the meantime, i've been busy cleaning and wire wheeling all my bolts and threads that i'm reusing and pestering my dealer for all manner of replacement bits and pieces.

The forks have been given new oil, i've stripped and lubed the rear linkage and swingarm and am waiting on that to come back from the painters and new lock nuts to arrive.
Not brain surgery and i'm yet to run into any issues, although the swingarm was loose and had side to side play, the only thing keeping it in line was the chain and sprockets, and that alone has justified my effort so far. I'll be stuffed if i'll ride someone elses handy work on a track flat out......

Attachments

#9 ·
My frame adjuster bolts finally showed up so i've made some progress finally!

The frame is on the engine and i've sorted the wiring harness and installed my airbox, inside the box is a new K&N air filter, the std intake trumpets and not much else, the intake snorkels are installed in the frame and everything has gone back where it was nicely so far...

My throttle assembly is set up and adjusted and ready to go on the handlebars, but for now it's hanging over the front of the frame, the new radiator hoses for my HRC radiator will be next as will the subframe assembly and i can finish up the wiring harness to the rear then.

Some pics of how it's coming along...

Attachments

#10 ·
The wiring harness is in place and everything went back together fine, there is a triangular sensor plug that i used as my start point which gave me the direction of the injector loom and from there the harness laid in the bike easily and i plugged it all together and zip tied it where needed to make it neat.

I've added the subframe with a new tray and seat bracket as well as reinstalling the DB holders intake and cluster mountings. The tank grommets were flogged out so i ordered replacements so the tank will sit in place snug and i noticed the washers were odd on both sides so ordered new ones of those to make sure it's correct. This is a trap, Honda charge $3 each for those two lousy washers and when they came...... yep, they're SUPPOSED to be odd sizes. Hmm, expensive washers! oh well......

So with the tank in place, wiring on, hoses plumbed (with new green safety clips) i test fitted my tank and tail just to make sure everything fits and it does.

Pics attached of my progress, The bodywork is supposedly new with a new paint job, it is because the seat hasn't been glued on yet but it's awful! it has runs everywhere, has developed small cracks from improperly drilled holes, i know it's a track bike but i find it embarassing that it's so shonky!

At a bare minimum i'm going to DA the whole thing, fix the mounting points so there's less stress and re prime it, but that'a a while off yet....

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
I've got the swingarm in with the serviced rear shock and new lock nuts etc.

Slow going as i've been waiting for paint but now i'm at the stage where i have to get it off the sump and onto stands so i can reinstall the exhaust, Radiator, forks etc....
Dunno how i'm going to do that yet.....
Anyhow, here's some more pics of my progress.

Attachments

#14 ·
Thank you very much, i'm getting anxious to actually ride it!

I'm almost at the end of the repairs and reconditioning of it, just have the wheels and the clutch cover to sort out and it will be complete and mostly refurbished.
The body work will be sanded down for a repaint, i've seen a track bike on you tube with a nice design i'm going to copy but in blue and grey rather than red and black.
While that's getting done i'll add the goodies that i want, quickshifter, slipper clutch, Attack rearsets and engine case protectors.

With that sorted it will be pretty well as new, or at least run in, as new and i'll be off to the track to enjoy it.
truth is, i get as much of a kick out of working on bikes as i do riding them, and i love riding them.

#17 ·
I got the bike up on stands using an engine crane and straps, my front stand is on backwards so i'll use it again once i get wheels on it but for now it's stable.

I have the forks back on the bike, serviced with ohlins oil, the calipers are in place only to stop them falling off the shelf but there's new SBS pads front and rear as well as new bleed nipples, new lines are on order, but not here yet....

New bars with a powder coated clutch perch and lever which matches the black lever on my new Brembo master cylinder, new switch gear is on the bike too, both sides looked very ratty and i need the kill switch, i also need the LHS switch block as it activates the pit lane speed limiter and an aftermarket set up is just as expensive as the factory switch, go figure.

With access i reinstalled the Arrow Inconel exhaust which has been ceramic coated, it was previously and after i did my best to clean it up it was grey and looked very second hand, i was advised not to try to remove it, just recoat it so that's what i did, it was a pig to fit!

Lastly, i fitted my HRC big radiator kit, i'm keeping the thermostat so my hose set up is more complicated than a full race system but i think it's best for my track day use.

Attachments

#18 ·
With the radiator installed i filled it and had to get it started so i could bleed the system.

I had an issue getting it going, turned out to be the IPG, the ignition pulse generator, it was plugged in but not properly and only when i did a tug test on everything did i find it, attempting to start it got the oil circulated, the oil pressure light was out so it was probably for the best anyway. With the plug connected properly it fired right up.

It was idling very high , 2600 rpm, and got to 100C quite quickly, handy for bleeding the cooling circuit but too high to leave it that way.
I removed the airbox to find the IACV, this thing is VERY particular, if it's dirty you can expect idle issues, mine was filthy, i cleaned out the circuit and then checked my air bleed screws, they were between 7 and 8 turns out, this has been done deliberately to keep the idle high.

I'm going to run a slipper clutch so i don't believe i need my idle that high, it is still set at about 1600 which is normal for a HRC ecu apparently and after setting the bleed screws about 1/2 turn out and then balancing the throttle bodies it's much smoother and starts right up.
The idle mine is at will be sufficient to carry high enough corner speeds and i'm told is the norm for race/track bikes. Anyway, i'm happy and relieved that my work has resulted in something that actually works, and to a much higher standard then previously which is very satisfying, still have plenty to do but i'm getting there.......

#20 ·
After reading Tiltys thread and seeing his chain hook i thought that would be a great help with my rear wheel change, i have captive spacers and the captive located caliper with the Ten Kate bracket so the chain hook to park the chain made sense.
I also added a rad guard to protect my new HRC Big radiator and my brake lines have arrived so they're installed too, not bled yet but the calipers are spotless and have new pads and bleed nipples.

Attachments

#21 ·
It's been slow going lately, i've been busy with work mainly, however my water pump took a dump on me, leaking from the weep hole, bugger.

It's on back order, i've installed a Healtech gear pos indicator which because of the HRC ECU and loom i had to wire in using their generic loom, i have rearsets due any day as well as some smog block off plates, i'm doing these because the QS plugs will likely need a little room and they tidy up the cam cover as well.

Pics shortly, i need to start the bike to confirm my wiring job on the gear indicator but i can't do that until my pump arrives.

#22 · (Edited)
My Attack rearsets arrived today, they're fitted but i find them a bit curious.

They're very nice quality and obviously built for track work, there's no facility for a brake light switch which is no concern to me but the shift rod pivot relies on the sidestand braket...... and what a heavy lump of puss that is! anyone would think HD made it!

so not only did i have to scrounge up a side stand i now have to modify the bracket to get rid of the excess fat, it's only use on my bike is to support the pivot so it can be significantly lightened!
Also, they don't come with the shift arm like most kits and their instructions are specific about where it should be on the spline so i'm off to order one of those tomorrow, can't install the pivot and shift arms until my water pump comes in though.....

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Got my water pump yesterday so i fitted it as well as located the rearset pivot and installed my HM Quickshifter as well.

The rear sets i needed to add a 20mm spacer, they come with a 10mm for one of the pivot bolts, i also took a heap of weight and material off the side stand bracket which is also for the Attack pivot. With these installed i could program my Healtech gear position indicator as well as setup the basic QS settings, i'll need to trial it to confirm them but for now it's got a basic set up that apparently works for most.

Tyres next and then a slipper clutch.......

Attachments

#25 ·
Being a track only bike there were a few bits i consider necessities, and my bike didn't come with them so during my rebuild as i replaced all the worn out and damaged stuff and repainted, powder coated bits etc i kept a lookout for them....
these were
gear position indicator. (had to buy a healtech generic one and wire it in as i use the HRC loom/ECU
Quickshifter. Bought a HM strain gauge one as i'm using the attack rear sets which have a pivot so the extra sensitivity comes in handy.
Slipper Clutch. Preferably the Yoyodyne "corse" with the low ramp angles made specifically for racing/track use.

I ended up buying the QS and the indicator new, and was losing hope of finding a decent second hand clutch, until.....

Luckily my mates look out for me and i was bombarded with texts about a local guy parting his race bike, and he had a yoyodyne slipper.....
It's mine and in surprisingly good condition, got it for well under half price and it came with heaps of spares, 2 stacks of plates shimmed ready to use etc..

Really stoked with my find, the savings will cover my tyre set now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.