Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any imput on how to cross a steel grate bridge?? You know the kind that even if you drive over with a car it feels like your getting tossed from side to side. Those scare me!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity yet to hit a bridge on my RR, but we learned in MSF that despite the awkward feeling, just take it easy and don't panic. I'm sure someone else has better advice though. :wink:

·
Registered
155 Posts
we got one of those around here, usually, on my bike at least(not a 600rr... yet) I just roll off the throttle.. but when I'm two up with my dad he sometimes just accelerates across them :shock: , so I guess they're safe.. prolly really bad when wet though!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys... I might have to cross one for the first time today... Not too happy about it but hopefully i'll make it ok to the other side. haha

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
just get your butt off the seat so the bike can move a little underneat you and you can still hold it up without it throwing your body side to side..

ive gone over a few of them and i just get up off the seat and then it is real easy to go over.. keep your knees bent though..

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
cbrkid11 said:
just get your butt off the seat so the bike can move a little underneat you and you can still hold it up without it throwing your body side to side..

ive gone over a few of them and i just get up off the seat and then it is real easy to go over.. keep your knees bent though..
That and just keep going the speed you were before coming to the bridge.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Blade-Runner said:
cbrkid11 said:

That and just keep going the speed you were before coming to the bridge.
as above. also relax on the bars. The front will want to weave a little. The worst thing is to clamp down stiffly on the bars. Just put your weight onto your feet, ass slightly off the seat, relax a bit on the bars, and don't change your momentum. Don't accelerate or brake suddenly. Yeah dry it's a little unerving, wet scares you no matter how often you do it. Should be no problem though. Try it a couple times at a time where there is little to no traffic so the added factor of other vehicles doesn't add to your stress and rob you of your attention.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
High, did you just get your license from the DMV or take a MSF course and actually lear to ride?
Got the license from the DMV. couldnt get into a MSF course early. But i am signed up for the class now. It will be June 9th

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have to cross one every day, I was worried the very first time, but honestly your getting worked up for nothing. After you cross it you'll be like "that was it??" Just go straigt and until your comfortable doing it, don't change lanes or anything. It's nowhere near as bad as driving on scored pavement, you know, when they're re-paving they score the 1" deep lines in the pavement, that can get a little hairy the first time, but even that is no biggie if you relax and just cruise right over it.

Good luck!!

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts