Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 cbr600rr is my first sport bike, rode a cruiser for a year before and took the msf course so i do have some experience with riding. The transition from a cruiser to a sport bike gives me questions. When im going about 25-35mph im shifting into 2nd or 3rd gear...im taking it east on her for the break in never going past 9000 rpm before shifting. I guess my question is since its such a high reving bike unlike a cruiser is it normal to be in 3rd gear around 30-35mph and at about 4500-5000rpm? Just trying to get a general idea on how these bikes act and whats normal since i dont really have any friends that have sport bikes.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Don't be afraid of rpm. I wouldn't spend all day at redline until it's broken in, but you can run it up to 15K a few times each trip. It won't hurt a thing, and it's where the power lives. Once it's broken in you can spend all day above 13K and it won't care in the least. These things are amazing pieces of technology.

·
Registered
307 Posts
When cruising around, I try to stay at 6-7k rpm's. There's enough power there that if I needed to get out of a situation I can. When play around in the twisties, I keep it between 9-15k.:thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I try to keep the rpm's down when normal riding 4-6k. I dont labour the engine and dont rev its ass off when cold and ride at what ever ya feel is right for the situation.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When cruising around, I try to stay at 6-7k rpm's. There's enough power there that if I needed to get out of a situation I can. When play around in the twisties, I keep it between 9-15k.:thumbup:
Same here man. Its a Honda. It wants to be up there in the rpm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 these bikes NEED to be run hard. One of the biggest issues people run into that just putt these around is valve problems. Its good for the bike to run it hard to keep the valves free..

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
My 09 cbr600rr is my first sport bike, rode a cruiser for a year before and took the msf course so i do have some experience with riding. The transition from a cruiser to a sport bike gives me questions. When im going about 25-35mph im shifting into 2nd or 3rd gear...im taking it east on her for the break in never going past 9000 rpm before shifting. I guess my question is since its such a high reving bike unlike a cruiser is it normal to be in 3rd gear around 30-35mph and at about 4500-5000rpm? Just trying to get a general idea on how these bikes act and whats normal since i dont really have any friends that have sport bikes.

Dennis
I wouldn't shift until I am 6-7G or higher. You're gonna bog-down if you're trying to cruise around at those low RPMs. As long a you don't try to redline it during the break-in period you should be good. I run anywhere from 9-15G in the twists and the track.

·
Registered
277 Posts
:+1:Same here.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I cruise at 5-6K, shift at about 7k.. unless I'm on the tear then I shift when the light comes on at 15k.

You can cruise all day just under the redline. All you're doing is burning more gas and making a lot of noise lol

During break in, I read that it is best to NOT keep the engine cruising at a set RPM... it is best to let it fluctuate.. And yes, DO run it hard during break in... Shift it up to the redline a few times, do hard engine braking, etc...

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I cruise at 5-6K, shift at about 7k.. unless I'm on the tear then I shift when the light comes on at 15k.
I ride like this in the city. If I'm on the freeway then it's typically between 8-9k unless I'm passing. In the twisties?...........no comment.

·
Registered
408 Posts
During break in, I read that it is best to NOT keep the engine cruising at a set RPM... it is best to let it fluctuate.. And yes, DO run it hard during break in... Shift it up to the redline a few times, do hard engine braking, etc...
This guy knows how to break in rings. Lots of people think you shouldnt rev high or strain the engine, not true. Rings need to flex to get seated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
:+1::+1::+1::+1:the honda break in rules are just to cover their as ses.

You can cruise all day just under the redline. All you're doing is burning more gas and making a lot of noise lol

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
just for all ur information (just found out this info)

Honda's test for their production models is 24/h in the redline and if the model passes that test it goes in to the dealerships...
oficial information this is ... :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 these bikes NEED to be run hard. One of the biggest issues people run into that just putt these around is valve problems. Its good for the bike to run it hard to keep the valves free..

^^ HondaJedi,

Is this a genuine concern ?

i very rarely take it up past 9k.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone, defintely some good things to know. This past saturday i hit 99 miles on her, lol...i havent been crazy on it, few shifts close to 7k rpm but nothing higher....guess ill start pushing it a little more, still got 501 break in miles to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I brought my bike up to 150mph this past weekend lol , I could defiantly feel the engine top out at the higher rpm. Damn 09 restrictions!! I've read all kinds of different break in techniques, but I generally feel that you should vary the rpm's during the break in period.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Thanks everyone, defintely some good things to know. This past saturday i hit 99 miles on her, lol...i havent been crazy on it, few shifts close to 7k rpm but nothing higher....guess ill start pushing it a little more, still got 501 break in miles to go.
Dude. Rev the engine. Seriously.

You're welcome,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts