Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasnt really sure where to put this cause its not really a how to but its also not really OT, so here goes. When seeing pics or video's of riders that are say, 5'10 - 6'0 it seems like they are barly leaning it over and yet there knee is already on the ground. But then for me being 5'6 ( 16 y/0 ) it seems that i have to lean it over alot more to get my knee down. On my bike i have like a centimeter of tire i havent used and i still have yet to get my knee down. Then it could also seem like a safety factor, a taller person could be over with a knee down and still have plenty of sidewall where as a shorter person could be on the very edge of the tire with a knee down and that could result in a lowside or something. So i guess my question is, is it harder/more lean angle for a shorter to get there knee down?

PS: Im sure for my case it also has something do to with form, and ive already posted a pic up here and you guys critiqued it and told me my problems.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
i think the problem with "knee dragging" is you don't have to have a knee down to be fast. in your case, you can have the same lean angle as a taller person and not have a knee down since your legs are shorter and won't stick out as much. but leaning off the bike includes weight transfers, so being smaller, you will have a different angle than bigger riders in the same turn at the same speeds it seems.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I think you're right blue blurr but like blueblur said, its got nothin to do with speed. I can get my knee down and have plenty of sidewall left, but I can also be using the whole tire and not get it down. I ride behind a buddy of mine at palomar a lot...we go the same speed, and he gets his down in every turn. I hang off a lot and maybe get it down a few times, but i've got less lean, same or greater speed.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Reallt depends on form, too. I "swivel" around the tank alot,try sticking you knee out that way, unless you have got steep lean angle (think motogp), you'll never touch down.
I keep up with some pretty fast riders and I've yet to touch down. I hang off pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The thing, I think most riders forget about, is the simple fact that the knee, for the most part, is mearly a feeler guage to let you know what lean angle you're at and how much is left. Like Blueblur and the others have said, you don't get a knee down because you're going X mph, but rather it's a function of cornerspeed and body position. Remember, the knee is a guage. Eariler, I said mostly a guage, because the knee can be used as a "third wheel" for stability and a tool for saving a lowside aswell, but the MAIN function of the knee is as a guage for lean angle...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
mule-madness said:
The thing, I think most riders forget about, is the simple fact that the knee, for the most part, is mearly a feeler guage to let you know what lean angle you're at and how much is left. Like Blueblur and the others have said, you don't get a knee down because you're going X mph, but rather it's a function of cornerspeed and body position. Remember, the knee is a guage. Eariler, I said mostly a guage, because the knee can be used as a "third wheel" for stability and a tool for saving a lowside aswell, but the MAIN function of the knee is as a guage for lean angle...

+1, beat me to it Mule

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yeah, its neat how the speed progression goes, at first, you want more and more lean/ knee dragging so you can go faster. And then you start trying to find ways to keep the bike from leaning so much so you can get more throttle and go faster. Right now i'm at the point where I lean too much, and being a bigger guy everything drags, knee, elbow, toes, and its getting annoying. Just keep your eye on lap times and not your knee.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Never worry about your knee getting down. I've won more than one race where I barely skimmed it. I use it as a gauge, when skimming I have more lean, when dragging I am at 95% max lean, and when burried I'm prepared to catch the front when it starts to tuck... which I'm not that good at so I try to avoid it. Worry about the important things, turn in point, apex, rolling on the throttle and your overall lap time. It will all come together when you least expect it... oh yeah, and remember to have FUN.

N

·
0 Posts
You'll also find that most noobs who are dragging their knees have bad form.

Use knee dragging as a guide as to how far you're leaned over. Like what the others are saying, it has nothing to do with speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it helps me to look at different pics of other riders forms. check out Jason Disalvo from yamaha... he's what like 5'5" or something.
also i don't think anyone touched on the "safety" factor you were talking about. even though the tire looks like you're running out of sidewall, you have plenty left. the tire flexes which gives you a lot more room to work with. plus you get a lot better gauge of your lean angle from your front tire. my rear tire could be entirely eaten up on the sides, but i can still have a chicken strip on the front tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts