Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was practicing using the CNC mill in our shop today and made this part. I wish I could have used a smaller endmill for the sharp corners but the 3/16 was the smallest size I had available. I'm just going to finish the corners by hand filing it. What do you guys think, not bad for some scrap metal right?

What other parts do you think I should mill?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmmm

May have to try and one-up you using the water jet in our shop.
(even though the side surfaces won't be as clean as yours)

Did you face the top surface as well? I can't tell from the pics.

Maybe adding a chamfer to the edges would look pretty cool.

Now after bashing you....awesome work man! Never would of though of doing that.
What's the distance from hole center to hole center?

I was actually thinking of making some custom handlebar ends on a lathe...give that a shot

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Naw I just brushed the surface with a scrotch bright pad. I thought about facing it but it would scratch too easily from my boots. I wished we had a waterjet cutter. I might try and make the part again on the EDM once I get trained for it. I measured the size of the holes as 0.255 in. diameter, but they don't need to be exact. A size F or G drill bit is fine. The distance from center to center is 1.85 in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Those are really cool. You should make a bunch and sell them. What would it cost you to make a run of 20 or 30 sets? Could you still make a profit selling them for $20 or $30 a set plus shipping?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Those are really cool. You should make a bunch and sell them. What would it cost you to make a run of 20 or 30 sets? Could you still make a profit selling them for $20 or $30 a set plus shipping?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Naw I just brushed the surface with a scrotch bright pad. I thought about facing it but it would scratch too easily from my boots. I wished we had a waterjet cutter. I might try and make the part again on the EDM once I get trained for it. I measured the size of the holes as 0.255 in. diameter, but they don't need to be exact. A size F or G drill bit is fine. The distance from center to center is 1.85 in.
Thanks. Maybe I'll try to make a set on our waterjet. I'll sandblast one side and brush the other to see which looks best.

Now to just find the time to do it...

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
you have the world at your feet

dude cnc is awesome.....you could make yourself

custom rearsets/pillion pegs.

suspension links of any size/height.

clip on mounting brackets (hard-but only woodcraft makes clip-ons for this bike).

you can replace some of the flimsy plastic (small body/trim) w metal if u want to take time to write program (time consuming!)

Magneto and clutch covers.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i am a drafter. I have the abilty to use all the same cnc machines. That is not bad tho. Work on your speeds and feeds. also if you use a cutter thats r.25 then make your path of cut .26 youll get a much better cut. Thats all i know tho. i just make the drawing and have the guy in the shop do it.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Ummm...I'll take a set please! If you keep it around $20, I'd def buy a set!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
you should extend the rear bolt hole down to counter the angle of the mounting points on the rearset. just so that the orientation of the wing looks correct. otherwise looks good bro

·
Registered
311 Posts
Can't you scan an existing rearset and have it replicate it?
You need very expensive laser 3-D scanners for that kinda stuff, but it can be done.

you should extend the rear bolt hole down to counter the angle of the mounting points on the rearset. just so that the orientation of the wing looks correct. otherwise looks good bro
I disagree. I like how it's angled down.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. As of now I have no plans to make multiple parts and sell them. I'm a student and I have limited shop access. I'm currently working on the right rearset plate now. The size is a little smaller and I'm thinking about cutting the RR logo in it instead of the wing. If anyone wants a copy of the solidworks part or drawing files just PM me and I'll email you them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Waterjetted, sandblasted, ready for PCing.

Just picked up the powder coater today, just have to wait for the powder to get here and I'll give it a shot.

Thanks to jdm spec for sending me the soliddworks file. All credit goes to him.

Will post pictures after my first try at PCing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts