Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm an industrial designer and I work with a designer named Mac Nolan. Mac is also a custom sport bike builder/designer. Not long ago Mac designed and built/modified a sport bike into something quite incredible (at least that's my opinion)

Take a look at his website:

http://www.macnolandesigns.com/

For those of you in the St. Louis MO area you're in luck! Mac lives in the metro area and I'm sure we could arrange something if you would like to see it yourself.

Let me know what you think... he'd really appreciate some feedback.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am about 3 hours away, If he needs anyone to test drive it, let me know. LOL.
Very cool design, and nice choice of color for the concept bike. I really like the look of it. It does look more show than go....but I think thats just because its so good looking.

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
Thats a pretty neat bike. I have seen some really wicked custom made sport bikes and that looks like one that might have a chance if it went into production. Its not too radical, just enough though.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I don't like it.No way it's fast,and it looks as though you might be placed too close to the rear wheel.which would affect the handling capabilities in a huge way.I could be wrong,though.Any video of this thing?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Its impossible for a shadetree mechanic to compete with billion dollar companies that throw multimillions of dollars into racing research & development, producing the latest in cutting edge motorcycle technology.

Instead of calling it a "custom" superbike, try calling it a "customized" GSXR.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well I read it further and it turns out to be a 1991 bandit 400 and NOT a GSXR. So, I'm sorry if I offended any GSRX owners.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the constructives so far. Mac will appreciate it. Yeah, he didn't build the thing from scratch. Look how much money the C1 (cysz) cost to get to productions... sheesh. This was his bachelor's degree senior thesis project in industrial design school. An amazing undertaking for those of us who have been through that. Heck, I only designed a recumbent bicycle and only "built" it in CAD :)

What he did do is take a great handling bike with decent power and shave off somewhere close to 100 pounds with all sorts of mods and rebuilt the engine including some additional customization and turn this thing into a super high revving lightweight that makes our RRs look and feel like giants. I sat on it the other day (granted I didn't ride it) and I couldn't believe how light it was. We parked it next to my RR in the garage and I couldn't get over how much bigger my RR looked next to it! Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I personally feel the origional design was lost in the build, the sweeping curve that you drew just doesn't carry over and the finished result looks messy and bitty. I hate the colour too. It looks like a scooter that wants to be a bike. nice try though, but id stick with making replacement bodywork if i were him, theres no way that one man i na shed can knock up a competative sports bike out of the front end of a Gixxer and the back end of a Bandit. Why not start with the best bike on the market, and then modify it to look cooler.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wow, that's pretty sharp looking. Different with the short sub assembly, and rear fender. Front fairing kind of reminds me of the battle droids from Star Wars (not an insult, just looks similar). Get a pic of it next to a stock bike so we can have a good visual for size comparison. I like it, but can see why some people wouldn't, does that make any sense?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mouse said:
I personally feel the origional design was lost in the build, the sweeping curve that you drew just doesn't carry over and the finished result looks messy and bitty. I hate the colour too. It looks like a scooter that wants to be a bike. nice try though, but id stick with making replacement bodywork if i were him, theres no way that one man i na shed can knock up a competative sports bike out of the front end of a Gixxer and the back end of a Bandit. Why not start with the best bike on the market, and then modify it to look cooler.
Probably missing a bit of the point of these, in that they aren't going to be class winning SBK style bikes.

Just a well performing (hopefully) and kick ass stylized ride. More urban commando than detuned track toy like the RR.

While I'd certainly never take that bike out on the track, it looks like it'd be a hell of a lot of fun to cruise the strip and visit bike week on. And it looks like he took a very competent bike, tuned and dropped the weight, and now has what is probably a VERY fun bike to ride around town on. Looks like he's claiming somewhere in the 300lb range, on a narrow 400cc chassis that probably still puts out a good 55hp. Thats more than enough to blow around town on. Considering most of us here only use 1/4 to 1/2 of our RR's power potential and handling, I can't believe everyone is so hard core that they wouldn't have fun on that.

I'd ride it.

Suggestion for a next project, though. Take a Ducati SR2 and mod the hell out of it into a similiar type of futuristic street fighter. Hell, maybe even go a little more overboard with the stylization. I'd love to see something like that.

PS - Out of curiosity, whats the price tag for that bike like?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts