Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yep, they have to cut the fairings. Sounds like a lot of people here did the cutting themselves, but I didn't trust myself to do it so I just had the dealership do it for $120.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You have to cut them, it isn't too hard. There are a couple of ways to make sure they're in the right place, if you want to do it yourself, pm me and I'll tell you how not to screw it up like I (and some others on the board did). I did the install myself, and marked where the holes should be, but I had a buddy that has a bike shop actually cut the holes because it was cheaper to pay him $10 to do it that to go out and buy a $25 hole saw that I'd only use once.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
I cut mine myself, I f'cked up good on the left side and it looks real bad, but my bike's kind of a track-hooptie now so it doesn't really matter. $25 for a hole saw? I just went out and got a drill bit that had the hole cutter on it and put it in my screw driver...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
did you go off of the impression in the foam? I started to also, and it turns out that's not the correct bolt that makes that impression. I would have really screwed mine up too if I hadn't taken a measuring tape to it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
ryoung57 said:
did you go off of the impression in the foam? I started to also, and it turns out that's not the correct bolt that makes that impression. I would have really screwed mine up too if I hadn't taken a measuring tape to it.
I used the foam impression on the right side, and it worked great. Didn't notice one on the left side.

·
Registered
730 Posts
cbrkid11 said:
you guys need to use the "clay" or silly putty method...

pretty fool proof...

i dont have frame sliders on my bike but at least i know the correct way to do it.
Using the foam impression is exactly like using play doh or silly puddy.

You can also cut up a pen or marker, tape it on top of the bolt, and bolt the fairing back up.

·
I've Got A Fever
1,478 Posts
The play-doh method sucks on the left side. Mine was off a good half inch so I had to make the hole oblong to get the slider to fit. On the right I used the impression in the foam and it came out damn near perfect. If I could do it over again I'd use the laser pointer method - now that is pretty much fool proof (probably need a stand though).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for letting me know you do have to cut. Now is it worth it. Now I know it protects the frame but what else does it protect and how is the frame protected?

·
Registered
388 Posts
RR said:
The play-doh method sucks on the left side. Mine was off a good half inch so I had to make the hole oblong to get the slider to fit. On the right I used the impression in the foam and it came out damn near perfect. If I could do it over again I'd use the laser pointer method - now that is pretty much fool proof (probably need a stand though).
Hey how does the laser pointer work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Laser pointer method:
1. Remove fairngs,
2. Point laser directly into the center on the bolt head,
3. Install fairings without moving bike or laser,
4. Laser marks the spot!
Worked great on mine. Only trick is making sure laser is pointed directly into the bolt head.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Kaiden said:
Thanks all for letting me know you do have to cut. Now is it worth it. Now I know it protects the frame but what else does it protect and how is the frame protected?
The sliders are bolted in to the frame and stick out of the fairings. If you drop or lay down the bike, the frame slider prevents the fairings from getting F'ed up (unless the lay is really severe).

Unless you're a really experienced rider, have lots of money to replace fairings, or if you never do stupid stuff i.e. like getting off you bike without the kick stands down, it is totally worth it.

It really doesn't protect the frame. If you wreck hard enough to bend the frame, the holes in the fairing are the least of your worries. You'll probably need new fairings then anyways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts