Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Finished cutting, step by step pics on post 19 and down

I have the Two Brothers Carbon Fiber slip on and I hate how much it sticks past the tail of the bike so this weekend I am going to cut the pipe down by about 2 inches

I am a carpenter and I have a extra miter saw I am going to put a brand new steel tooth blade on (sharp and one time use in this case) to cut the carbon fiber and steel core.

plan is to drill out the rivets, tape the entire pipe mark where to cut then also put the cut on a 1-2* so the tip will be centered, hoping that the tape and high speed of the saw will cut the carbon fiber nice and clean and not fray it also keep the cut strait on my line. then drill holes for the rivets, re rivet the back peice on and re install.

I will post up some pics of before, during and after. I might do this Friday because I am thinking I might take that day off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea it sticks out that much too, but the main reason is when my put a tripage light in there and do not want the tip of the pipe blocking the light, I want if the same as the arka exhaust

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I forgot but does how I am going to cut it sound like a good way?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if I jack it up I'll learn my lesson..........

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
maybe use a blade that is made out the stuff that dremel cut off wheels are made of. I used to cut carbon fiber with them for my rc cars. put superglue on the cut edge to keep it from fraying after you cut it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
:happy1: I'm so ready for this to happen. I'm more curious about the sound change than anything. I have a two bro's on my '03 that sticks out too far. its soooooooo freakin loud I'm ready to get rid of it. I repacked it and didn't help any. When I had it apart I was noticing that it would be easy to cut as long as you cut it straight/square.

Hurry up and do it and post pics and let us know about the sound. Higher/lower and how much louder if any. How loud was yours in the first place?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
just use a hacksaw.
if cutting carbon fiber, put masking tape on the area you cut to prevent splintering.

a dremel can help w/ cutting the baffle, a hacksaw has a hard time cutting through them.

and yes it will be louder.
if you remove some of the pipes baffle and sound deadening packing, its gonna be louder.
i know, ive shortened 3 bike exhausts now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so far its going well, going to make the cut and finish up after dinner. I will finish tonight and get pics up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok got it back together and it freaking looks 10X better
I am uploading pics will be up shortly
also this is was alot easier than I thought and than most make it sound
as long as you have the right tools.
it took me a total of 2 hours work time from start to finish

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
before pics

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Tools needed after slip on is off bike
safety stuff
Protect you eyes, lungs and hands

painters tape
Drill
good 1/8 drill bit
My cutting tool of choice is a diamond cutting blade on a roto-zip cutting tool (this is for the carbonfiber)
sharp box knife (to cut packing)
metal cutting blade on cutting tool (for core pipe)
1/8 pop rivets
small hammer (I used a 7oz)
a long prybar

Pipe off

drill out rivets with 1/8th inch drill bit

pop back plate off using long prycar threw the pipe and tap with hammer, this might take a little bit

and of course what project would not be complete without blood!!

once the back is off this is what you have

next cover the pipe well I used a T-shirt and plastic bag

this is the cutting tool and blade

1 - 20 of 112 Posts