Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the 600rr has fallen a little out of favor with the group at cycle news. They talk about the engine not having the kind of torque they would like to see then go on to talk about how the yam engine "pulls hard off the corner and then revs and revs and revs, all the way to that astronomical 15,000-rpm redline". I know the mags are in love with the yam, but there are alot of points in this shootout where they seem to be holding the Honda to a different set of expectations. Anyway, the suz is 1 in their test, followed by the kaw, then the yam.

·
Registered
229 Posts
it seems to me as if they always rank newly released bikes the highest to please the manufacturers. The suzuki is brand new and the kaw has had a bunch of engine modifications(sluggish sales) to get it close to the hp figures of the other three. The top two selling bikes (cbr and yam) get ranked last since they already had top spots last year.

IMO the yam is the best bike stock, but the honda is top with a few modifications for the track, and that's only because one of honda's aims is to always have a street-friendly production bike.

Raise the rear and get some new fork springs and the RR is just as flickable as the yam

·
Registered
812 Posts
Most publications print whatever the publicity people give them. I read the same review of the 600RR from 10 "different" publications. They all went to Vegas and were given the same story and pictures. The put their guy on the bike and shoot some more pictures to personalize the artical. They discuss the advertizing budget more than the bike. Enough $$$$ and you get the cover. The "writer" adds a few words to the front of the story. BINGO

Now Honda is pushing the 1000RR so the 600RR is last place?

Daytona 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th with 4 600RRs in the race!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Now Honda is pushing the 1000RR so the 600RR is last place?

If she does not have budget, she will not be spoken about.

Typical corperate america dealings... :?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I couldn't care less what the mag's say. I'm COMPLETELY happy with my purchase and wouldn't change it for any other 600 out there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Reviews

I've lost a lot of respect for the US Mags after reading a few Euro Mags. I think Euro tests are thorough and reviews more objective. Plus they do a lot of testing on the streets -- which is where we do most of our riding anyways. As rezaRR pointed out, don't they know that Honda makes the bike's street friendly. For a good reason too. My Gixxer friends are usually ready for a breat after 45mins of riding with all sorts of pains all over their body.

But you can subscribe to an american mag for 0.99 and have to pay $6.00, for a Euro one. Why are the american magazines so inexpensive, must be corporate sponsorship.. hmm...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've lost a lot of respect for the US Mags after reading a few Euro Mags.
Me too. Have you read "Road Tests" like this one:

I first met Mike Hailwood on a cold October morning in Wanda's Cafe, 20 miles north of Flatville, Ohio have two eggs over easy, a side of toast, black coffee (which Wanda makes herself every half hour in the AM and every hour in the PM) ....

I just want to scream GET TO THE RIDDING OF THE MOTORCYCLE. Euro mags talk so much less, have sexy pics, and have more info on bikes.

They do cost alot, but I get a coffee at Borders and read them there. 8)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn right, no comparison there. I also think from what I`ve read in the last year that the 600rr is the best all around 600.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I respect the journalistic integrity of the Brit mags, but someone's gotta teach their test riders some proper form! Seems like they're trying the hardest to drag a knee or elbow in every shot, and they end up looking ridiculous...

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
i am sure most of you saw the vedio http://www.600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=77558 when my RR was on the dyno at a local shop the main mechanic there could not believe that my RR had 109 / 110 HP since they put all kinds of money and time into a kawi 636 and it only made 113 HP they race that bike on drag strips the mags can say whatever they want i LOVE MY RR :D :D :D

·
Registered
812 Posts
my RR was on the dyno at a local shop the main mechanic there could not believe that my RR had 109 / 110 HP
And that was standing still! I know the RR REALLY takes off over 100mph.
They just start to surge ahead from the forced air into the intake. I'm sure.

Does anyone know how to simulate this for a dyno run? or calc the HP boost?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts