Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my number 1 spark plug decided to strip the threads on my head and come flying out. I know I could probably heli-coil it and move on, but with the high compression these things run I don't want to be 2,000 miles from my house and it happen again. So I'm going to replace the head. I'm curious what the differences are between the years of '03-'10. My bike is an '04. Do any of the other year heads flow better and be a direct swap? Do you guys have any other opinions of things to do while I'm that deep into the engine? Also things i will need...Head gasket, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, coolant, oil. Any other parts that I should think about replacing or will need replaced??

·
Registered
213 Posts
The way Honda works, I can almost guarantee that 07+ heads are no where close. The 05-06 heads might be about the same though. I dont think they made any performance increases other than ECU from 03-06 though.

I am not sure though. Just throwing out what I think

·
Registered
40 Posts
So what did you end up doing. I just ran into the same problem with my '05 blowing #2 plug out.

I've always heard helicoils are actually stronger than regular threads.:cruising:

·
Registered
29 Posts
So what did you end up doing. I just ran into the same problem with my '05 blowing #2 plug out.

I've always heard helicoils are actually stronger than regular threads.:cruising:
I say just helicoil it, it will be better than new. helicoils are stronger than the original threads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts