Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a flat battery again the other day, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

First time was when i'd been messing with the bike all day and the alarm had been beeping to let me know it was in service mode (good design!) Quick one hour charge and it was fine.

That was a few months back and all seemed fine.

Hadn't ridden it for a few weeks so took it out last weekend and all was ok. Rode for 10 miles or so and put it away again.

Went out on friday, battery wouldn't turn the engine over. F****c.
All lights on etc, loud clicking but no turning of engine.

Charged the battery again, this time with slow charge, but my charger basically said it was almost fully charged already, then after an hour (should take overnight) wasn't pumping any more juice in.

Put battery back on bike and starts fine. Took it for a 20 mile run with high revs to get extra charge in too.

So questions are:

is it my datatool system3 sapping the juice, or is the shite design that lights are on permanantly causing the battery to not have quite enough to start the bike (yet if you turned the lights off it would be fine!)

Would the battery charge better if the lights were off (ie pull the plug on the bulb)

I rode the bike at high revs (well for me anyway!) say 8,000rpm. What revs are charging the bike, and what are just maintaining the output? i.e. at 2000rpm is it not actually charging just putting back the drain.

Should honda change my battery if it s a little suspect.

Hope the bloody thing starts again next time i use it!

·
Registered
465 Posts
The dead battery thing seems to be an issue with some bikes/owners. Chech the posts in the Maintenance Form.

I always run with the high beam on and my bike sit for 3-weeks at a time on a regular basis (having to work sucks!) ........and have NEVER had a problem.

The service guy told me that the bike needs to rev over 5000 rpm before the system will charge..........so if you spend alot of time in stop and go or sitting in traffic, you may have a problem. This is a sport bikes designed for speed/performance and the electrical system's "spartan" nature reflects that criteria. 8)

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Whenever there is an alarm involved it is most likely the cause. Trust me the problems lies between either a bad battery or some type of hookup in the alarm system. It will not be the lights. I don't know much about this alarm system. Maybe if you can post some of the technical specs about it I can steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Different alarms suck up dif. amounts of juice. A write up I read in Superbike says to get a alarm with a current draw of .5ma. or less.
The alarm you have is suppost to have a sleep setting. Try turning it to the lowest setting. When its in the sleep function , its suppost to draw .3ma. At least thats what the mag says.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts