Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2004/Jul/040715hap.htm

Well looks like we just lost all hope of a US GP @ Barber in '05. I was really looking forward to seeing the race in person and soaking up all the sights that comes with such a spectacle. But from what I've read GP's are a real expensive proposition and hard to make money off of. Barber just got tired of going back and forth with the Birmingham mayor/city council for additional funding so he just said fuggetaboutit. Oh well maybe Laguna is still in the running for next year :nono:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The thing I don't get is that it is all about funding but the story I read talking about GP going to Laguna said that Dorna would waive the sanctioning fee. If they will do it for Laguna why not Barber? I don't know why Dorna would waive it at all, that's 7 figures we're talking about. Besides, Laguna has a lot of work to do where as Barber is pretty much ready.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hondaf4iguy said:
There will never be GP at Barber. The GP bikes would never get out of second gear. That would be like racing superbike on a go-cart track.
I think that you are a little short-sighted when you say never. Had the Barber group been able to get an acceptable amount of public funding (to them), it would have definitely happened. As for Barber being too short ( in its current configuration) to host a GP, there is definitely some truth to that. The AMA boys usually don't go higher than fourth on the front straight so the Moto GP guys would be plain cruising. There is a plan to lengthen the track to make it more competitive for racing. Bottom line is that Barber built this facility out of his pocket ($56 million) and with that kind of loot he is at the top of Dorna's wish list for an American GP. Keep watching, it will happen....

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
hotrod7, it won't happen until something changes. I think we can agree on that. Therefore, it is useless to hold your breath now waiting.

My Barber has done a fabulous job on the track. I have only heard a couple of complaints (Car barriers too close to the track, not enough run off).
I have heard it isgoing to be the DisneyWorld of motorsports! God bless him if he can pull it off.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hondaf4iguy said:
hotrod7, it won't happen until something changes. I think we can agree on that. Therefore, it is useless to hold your breath now waiting.

My Barber has done a fabulous job on the track. I have only heard a couple of complaints (Car barriers too close to the track, not enough run off).
I have heard it isgoing to be the DisneyWorld of motorsports! God bless him if he can pull it off.
Gotcha! :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts