Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen this argument in post after post after post. so i figure i would try to set the record straight...

according to Merriam-Webster the definition of dampener is
transitive senses
1 : to check or diminish the activity or vigor of : DEADEN <the heat dampened our spirits>
2 : to make damp <the shower barely dampened the ground>
3 : DAMP 1c
intransitive senses
1 : to become damp
2 : to become deadened or depressed
- damp·en·er /-n&r/ noun

Likewise, the definition of damper is:
1 : a dulling or deadening influence <put a damper on the celebration>
2 : a device that damps : as a : a valve or plate (as in the flue of a furnace) for regulating the draft b : a small felted block to stop the vibration of a piano string c chiefly British : SHOCK ABSORBER

Therefore BOTH are correct, but DAMPER is technically correct. Hopefully this will put an end to the dampener vs. damper debate once and for all!!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
PENSKE SHOCKS - 8991 SERIES
The 8981 Series damper utilizes research and development acquired from Penske’s decades of racing experience at a world class level and makes it available for your sportbike. The 8981 Series damper is a double adjustable model. First, adjustability comes from the fact that the compression and rebound dampening is adjusted externally instead of removing the damper from the motorcycle. The compression adjuster is located on the remote reservoir while the rebound adjuster is located in the eyelet at the base of the shaft. The main valving, located inside the damper, may also be altered in a matter of minutes, by removing the
from the motorcycle. The 8981 Series adjuster offers a wide range of compression adjustments for the serious racer. As the adjuster knob is rotated, a drum inside the compression adjuster is rotated, aligning the chosen orifice within the direct flow of oil into the remote reservoir. The adjustment knob is numbered from one to six and by clicking to the number one position, the adjuster is set at the softest position utilizing the largest hole in the compression adjuster drum. The number six position on the knob denotes a full stiffness setting where oil flow is greatly restricted. This method of adjusting compression damping is ideal for most forms of racing, especially those having higher shaft speeds and displacements. The redesigned orifices make every adjustment have a noticeable “feel” and have increased the range of adjustment. At higher shaft velocities, oil passes through the orifice in the compression adjuster drum and gets to a point of “packing-up”. Penske has designed a valve in the compression adjuster housing allowing the oil to bleed off, making for more linear force curves. The 8981 Series is the choice of champions worldwide.

Features:
• 6 levels of adjustability
• Blow off valve makes more linear damping curve
• Advanced technology construction
• Unparalleled performance
• Proven design from a proven company

As taken from Penske

I think this settles the argument

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ripper2 said:
according to www.dictionary.com DAMPENER is more correct....
actually, according to www.dictionary.com DAMPER is still technically more correct. refer to the entry 2, 5, and 6 for damper. where as definition 2 of entry 1 is the only definition that applies...

As I stated before, both are correct. BUT DAMPER is more technically correct...

wolfpac52,

i'm not sure what the point of your posts are. is your point that damper is correct and dampener is not or that both are correct with damper being more correct?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
wolfpac52 ,

i'm not sure what the point of your posts are. is your point that damper is correct and dampener is not or that both are correct with damper being more correct?
I'm gonna have to say that since the big two suspension manufacturers call it damper, we should go with damper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts