Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, a mechanic forgot to plug in the fan after he did some services. Sitting in traffic soon after I got my bike back from them, I saw that the temps were breaking 280, and the warning light was on. I notified the mechanic of his error after I plugged it back in. My question is, after a short period of hella high engine temps, is there any cause for concern as far as short and long term issues?

P.S. I've put on 800 miles since this service was done a few days ago and everything seems normal.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I would definitely make sure you get this issue documented in writing from your mechanic. Like macrooli mentions, you can blow a head gasket and not even know it. That is until it starts overheating again. If there are any changes in the way the bike runs in the near future then I would ask him to do a compression leak-down test on all of the cylinders to make sure you haven't cracked the head or blown a head gasket. It shouldn't hurt the bike as long as you caught it in time.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've had my temp up to 250F once sitting waiting to pull out into traffic, sat there for what seemed to be 10 minutes. I thought that was higher than I ever wanted to see it reach.

·
Registered
625 Posts
my bike never rached above 230 even during hard riding. but ever since i went -1+2 and my rpm is much higher it hovers around 210-230 in stop and go but up in the canyons i start and its normal and once i reach the top its around 250 then i just let it idle to cool down. i have friends that have tried engine ice and watter wetter with mixed results. some swear by it others say it didnt work i havent tried it myself.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was stopped in traffic last saturday for a minimum of 10 minutes in the sun, 90 degrees out and I saw a MAX of 234.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I run antifreeze and some stuff called super coolant i found at walmart. riding it runs at 174-186. Stopped at a light for 3 minutes or more 220-228

The water wetter is strictly for water I believe. I wouldn't run water it lacks lubricants for the cooling system that are in antifreeze

Sent from my DROID2 using Motorcycle App

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
I've seen 265*. Had a rock kick up and get between the fan blade and radiator, essentially jamming it. Caught it pretty quick though, and figured out what was wrong. Let it cool down, and almost 45,000 miles later, not one issue.

Just keep an eye on your oil, and like someone else said, get it documented with the mechanic/shop, just in case.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm in texas, where it's been 105 degrees every day. I commute daily, but mostly highway, not toooo much stop and go. I run engine ice and I don't think I've seen above 225.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The bike will also shut itself down at (I think) 280...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.