Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

Just need to get this off my chest because it's been building up:

Ever since that stupid MotoGP commentator kept commentating on how much of an advantage Dani Pedrosa's weight is, has crossed over to every person's lips and threads involving Dani's performance.

Dani's fast because he's got a weight advantage
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. And everyone in their motherfreakin'alaska adopted this stupid opinion.

I will say this, on a LLLLLOOOONNNNGGGG straight away I believe it does SLIGHTLY come to play but most of Dani's passes are in the turns and late braking, not in the straight aways.

So, if he's got such a weight advantage why aren't the other MotoGP riders who weigh in less than Nickey Hayden or Rossi in the leading pack or on the podium? Hmm???

Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with his talents or skills but his weight advantage....hahaha

Here's another:
Having less weight to transition from side to side helps.
WTF??? Why hasn't this helped me overcome that fat bastard in the front?

Now it helps to transition the bike, and before it helped him rocket that bike down the straight away, then the next thing people are going to say is it places less stress on the tires making it last longer.

We know that's not the truth but here's the truth:

1) Dani's weight is not an advantage but a disadvantage. Why? Just look at his launch. Because of his feather weight he has a harder time keeping the nose on the ground during launch and coming out of the corner.

2) It is not easier to transition from side to side. I believe it's the same when centrifugal forces are in play. I could be wrong. Experts please shed some light.

But I'll tell you one thing, my friend who weighs 100 lbs more has an eaiser time transitioning than I do. It must be me, but if my weight is such an advantage why am I struggling? Maybe because it's not my weight but ME!!!!

Again, why hasn't the other MotoGP riders who weigh just as less benefited from their weight advantage over Rossi & co.? Take Shinya Nakano for example. Guy weighs 7 kg more than Dani Pedrosa, and 11 kg less than Nickey Hayden. Yet you don't see him passing up Nickey or the top 5 riders and making it on the podium this year. And the guy's obviously talented and skilled but no podium. Where's the weight advantage?

If anything, Dani's weight is a disadvantage not an advantage especially in the MotoGP 990cc class.

People are just trying to find an excuse as to why he's so good, and beating the veterans.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Less weight is an advantage during accelaration and decelaration, but it doesn't do anything to help top speed. You attain top speed faster by having less weight, but it doesn't give you more speed. The factory Ducati team in MotoGP has the most aerodynamically efficient bike on the grid, and if I remember it correctly, I think it was Livio Suppo, who said that being smaller physically is actually a disadvantage because the smaller stature doesn't provide the air a clean flow as it goes through the bike and then to the rider. Browse through the Interview Videos on the MotoGP website to find the interview, I think it was him that said that. As far as side to side movement, Dani's size is a disadvantage because the faster the bike is moving, the more effort you have to put into it to make the bike turn. If you look at the onboard videos of the LeMans GP, you could really see how hard Dani was working as he wrestles the bike from side to side in the quick transition turns. Dani is at a disadvantage rather than having an advantage.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
easy Nem or you might get a major stroke, lighten up dude. :D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
wouldn't the weight advantage if it is true help him more in the turns, braking, and acceleration?

Atleast thats how it is in cars. I believe they were using the same 'excuse' for danica patrick.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
You fail to realize that 90% of Dani's weight is localized in his head. Since his head is generally over his tank, what you experience is what we in the biz call "mass centralization." Of course, by "centralizing" all the mass this allows the bike to "flick" easier from side to side. The added benefit of it being his head is that he can initiate the flick simply by shifting his head to one side of the bike or the other! In this way, Dani does indeed have an advantage!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Well, the average rider is around 5'6'' and 140lbs. And last I looked they're weren't too many 6'10' 250 lb guys on the grid. At that level you need every last little advantage and if you weigh 20lbs less on a equivelaent bike you will be able to accelerate better and you will have less mass to push through the corners.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
helps in braking, certainly.

p = mv

i'm guessing since Momentum equals Mass x velocity, there's a slight advantage in how FAST he can slow down (lower mass, meaning lower momentum). u mentioned he can Brake late as hell, and overtake on the turns...well the reason for that is the fact that he's only weighing in at what....60kg in full gear??...

Factor that with his balls out riding, the awesome Honda, and immense talent, and u get Dani Pedrosa.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I agree with the concensus here. Less weight is an advantage. However, it cannot overcome the lack of skills. So the fat guy in front of you Nem is just simply a better rider. I'm a light weight guy. When I was riding at 19-20y/o I weighed about 125lbs. I had guys on liter bikes shocked at how fast I was on a FZR600. They couldn't loose me and I kept right with them pass after pass. Does that mean my weight was the only factor. Nope. You have to have the skills to go along with that weight advantage.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Well Name you hit all the wickets. There's nothing to argue.
I think its his big ass head thats the advantage, when he drops that beast in a turn, hell yeah its gonna make him turn faster. so the rest is crap.

those commentators dont know squat, cause they were the same ones that said he wasnt gonna be good enough, strong enough, big enough to competitively race a MotoGP bike, then when he won they act like they were'nt the clowns that said so in the 1st place.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The guy is clearly talented and deserves his success, but how could you not think less weight on top of a motorcycle is a good thing? All other things being equal, less weight is better for accelarating, braking, turning, etc.

However, all things are not equal, and I agree that it is the rider, but when you are talking about the top five guys in the world whose skill levels are often separated by fewer than one tenth of a second, 30 or 40 fewer pounds is an advantage on a bike that weighs under 400 pounds wet.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand what you guys are saying but why didn't anyone play the "Weight" card when Shinya took podium 2 times last year? He was the lightest of them all, yet nobody said, "Oh, that's because he had a weight advantage."

Again, I believe it's just an excuse and the media wants everybody to jump on the band wagon (or is it off?..I always get those two mixed up).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nemesis said:
I understand what you guys are saying but why didn't anyone play the "Weight" card when Shinya took podium 2 times last year? He was the lightest of them all, yet nobody said, "Oh, that's because he had a weight advantage."

Again, I believe it's just an excuse and the media wants everybody to jump on the band wagon (or is it off?..I always get those two mixed up).
Well, the important thing is that non of the riders are discrediting him for it. At least not that I have heard or read.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
wouldnt less overall weight make it safer to turn at higher rates of speed? due to the fact that your tires are holding less g-force to the sidewalls around the turn.... so like, a 150 pound dude could take a turn at a given speed, and when you put a really heavy dude on the same bike and same speed around that turn but the tires give out and he low-sides?

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
no, because you use that weight to create turning force, when you hang off the bike on the inside, see Rossi in action, or Hopkins, he hangs WAAAAYYY off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
small-g said:
...who said that being smaller physically is actually a disadvantage because the smaller stature doesn't provide the air a clean flow as it goes through the bike and then to the rider...
I think Pedrosa's bike is shorter for this reason.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts