Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna order a tinted shield for my helmet and wondered if i should go with the dark or light smoke? right now i only have the clear and it sucks on the way to work and home i'm heading in the sun.

my question is will the light smoke be enough to cut the glare down during my commute but not to dark incase i get out of work late?

or what about the sun strip that goes across a clear shield? do they work at all?

if it matters at all its an icon helmet

just curious...

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
light smoke man, them dark ones are a pain in the ass when nightfall catches you on the road.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I never ride at night so dark smoke is what works for me. Especially Shoei shields which have excellent visors. I have the original clear visor too just in case I ever do need to ride at night for some reason.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I say do with the dark. I got a light smoke sheild once and well never again. They don't do sh!t when the sun hits you in the face. It is kinda hard to see at night but you will get used to it, i have.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Anyone thats ever gotten caught in the rain (at night) WITHOUT A HELMET (I know I know) will tell you that tucking in behind a windscreen you can't see through aint good for s H i T !!!

Plus...if you ever ride fast (140ish like I did last night) its nice to get behind/under with the wind an all

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have a dark smoke on my Suomy and that thing is a pain in the ass at night. You can't see ****. In the day it's so very wonderful. I have really sensitive eyes so I need it for the day. I usually change it out for night riding though and put the clear one back on. I wish I had a way to carry both around with me. If I get caught out w/ the dark one at night I am riding slow and being extra careful.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ya i have sensitive eyes too so only dark smoke on the arai but they look darker on the helmet. as far as to someone lookin at them as for wearin it they look like ur lookin through dark sunglasses i luv the dark. But ya if u ever forget to switch out ur lenses it can be a pain at night or in really shadowy mountians. but u should b fine bcuz u have a clear. for those occasions.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
mitchlguzin said:
Anyone thats ever gotten caught in the rain (at night) WITHOUT A HELMET (I know I know) will tell you that tucking in behind a windscreen you can't see through aint good for s H i T !!!

Plus...if you ever ride fast (140ish like I did last night) its nice to get behind/under with the wind an all
hes talking about the lid visor, not the windscreen.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Clear screen with Fog City Light refractive Insert....Works great for day and Night, although my eyes are sensitive to light so it isn't enough for me during the day. What I did on my Icon was get a tinted shield then Slap that Fog City Light refractive...GREAT for the day...Night time I might as well be a bat because I can't see shat. Just plan ahead, know how long you have until its dark and when you hop on that bike double check the time to make sure you know your time limit before you'll need a clear lense at night. Oh and if you don't go as dark as I went the tinted visor is still going to be too dark for night time riding.

Basically if you only want one lense get the Fog City Light Refrative insert for your clear shield.

If you want sun protection get a tinted shield and a Fog City Light refractive insert.

I recomend the Fog City because I seem to fog up without it and so far those inserts haven't failed me. When washing just wash it with wather and a soft cloth...i use a micro fiber towel and just pat it dry.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
i love my blue iridium visors even at night it works fine

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
I like the dark smoke visors. My bud done a survey on helmets the other day and there is some kind of new helmet all you have to do is flip something and the shield changes from dark to clear. They paid him $100 for a hour to do a survey on helmets. I told him to give them my name and number.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice....thanks for all the info guys, i went with the lighter one for now, if its not enough i'll just buy a darker one. I like it being dark normally but on the bike i like the feeling that i can see, so as long as the light tint cuts out some of the glare from the morning and evening sun i should be happy

thanks again!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Damn, I'm retarded...this whole time I thought we were talking about a "windscreen"

Not a helmet visor/screen... BY BOTH! Your telling me you can afford a bike BUT not a $10-15 "screen"?

I have a light tint for my Shoe and a clear...the light tint isn't too bad at night and helps during the day...+ it looks badass!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I can't see a thing out of my tinted shield (not smoked) at night and had to flip it up the one time I got caught with it. Go light and wear sunglasses - you'll be good to go any time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
96SNAKE03RR said:
I never ride at night so dark smoke is what works for me. Especially Shoei shields which have excellent visors. I have the original clear visor too just in case I ever do need to ride at night for some reason.
why dont you ever ride at night?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts