Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, lets talk tires. I'm going to Daytona and need tires. Do I get the Daytona spec tires, or do I stick with the ones I already have?

·
Site Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spec Tires

The tire manufacturers make Daytona specific tires that compensate for the that's built-up on the left side of the tires. I'm running the Michelin's now, but have been looking at the Dunlops. The Dunlops only come in a 190 though, so I'm not sure what I want to do.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
OK, lets talk tires. I'm going to Daytona and need tires. Do I get the Daytona spec tires, or do I stick with the ones I already have?
Without a doubt, get Daytona spec tires!

Last year for the Race of Champions I wanted to just use some tires I already had to save some $$$. Within 5 laps they started to blister! They could NOT handle the heat.

I ended up getting some Daytona specs and never a problem!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
What about setup changes? Going to the 190 must require some changes, right?
I have to look it up, but I think the overall was 3mm taller in the rear (increase in rear ride height).

I didn't make any adjustments as it was my first time there. I just recorded the change and went with it. Seemed awesome! Until my shock link let lose! :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
I honestly haven't made adjustments either, but it would b recommended. I'm still on oem suspension, and need to upgrade it badly. When riding bikes not even set up for me that have better suspension, I drop my times instantly. Money, I need more of it.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
What about setup changes? Going to the 190 must require some changes, right?
Crap, I should clarify! that was running a 190/55 before. The Daytona tire is slightly larger than their normal 190/55.

Don't remember the actual numbers. But I have their info on my iPad, I can get that for ya and post it up. But it their race specs. So if you're running a 180/55 it won't have those numbers.

So you'd have to look at up. That would be a good bit more and you would want to adjust for that!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I honestly haven't made adjustments either, but it would b recommended. I'm still on oem suspension, and need to upgrade it badly. When riding bikes not even set up for me that have better suspension, I drop my times instantly. Money, I need more of it.
Set up for you though is relative... Having it set up means that it's just sprung for your weight. Doesn't mean that it's valved right, shimmed right or that the ride height is right.

Because "right" depends on your riding ability AND your riding style.

2 people with the same height and weight may not run the same valving, shims or even the same spring rate. Someone who brakes harder at some tracks like say Barber, will run a heavier spring that a person of the same weight who uses more cornerspeed.

Hope that makes sense?

·
Site Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I need to get the sizes of my Michelins and the sizes of the Dunlops and then make adjustments from there.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I guess I need to get the sizes of my Michelins and the sizes of the Dunlops and then make adjustments from there.
I'll post up the Dunlop spec sheet tonight when I get home. If I can get the Michelin spec sheet I'll post it up too.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
OP....

see niner 1k's post on the link fail...and maybe prep super careful?

that shock link failure was impressive,

what was the fix?

respectfully asked by an old and slow guy..........

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
tary, you saw my shock link? Were you there?

The fix was a new exhaust! lol

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
No, I saw your pics......so that was a heat related failure?

wow,hard to prep for that,who would think that the heat would radiate like that at those speeds? ..

Good Luck !

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Ah, didn't realize I posted them here lol.

Yea, apparently I had an exhaust leak (from my TM) that must have softened the link. Combined with the load you go through while on the banking (for those never ridden there, the load is INCREDIBLE! I had to adjust my shift lever), it just collapsed.

Happened during my Unlimited SuperSport race on Nascar T2, scared the hell out of me! I thought I got a blow out, and was going to die! LOL

To the OP. I found the tech sheet on the Daytona spec tires, got it during the AMA round.

You can download it here: gottrack.net/downloads

now, I'll try to find you the Mich Tech Sheet.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
thats a good story,

- now those links do look kinda flimsy.....

did you replace w/OE, or have something beefier fabbed as a replacement?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
thats a good story,

- now those links do look kinda flimsy.....

did you replace w/OE, or have something beefier fabbed as a replacement?
Yea I just replaced it with an OEM piece. I could have picked up a lees cycle link, but they get pricey. But they do have better characteristics too...

It was funny when we were in the stands watching one of the races, I had shown the link to Melissa Paris. Later we were in the garage and Josh Hayes was in a friends garage BS'ing. And Melissa goes OMG you gotta show that picture to Josh. So I did, his jaw dropped, "man, all my years of racing--I've never seen anything like that! Luckily there isn't a stock part on my bike-hahaha"

It was pretty funny!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts