Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this was already posted, I used the search function but couldn't find my answer, or maybe cuz there's too many threads >.>

Anyways I'm not sure when this happened, hi-beams used to work perfectly and I found out last week that they didn't turn on. When I hit the hi-beam switch, they would flicker once then turn off, and other times it would turn on for 1/2 a second then shut off. Could my ballast be out? My low beam is perfectly fine. Doesn't particularly bother me since I don't really hi-beams but I rather find out what's wrong so when I do have to use it, it's there. And again, sorry if this is a re-post, I understand there's more posts about HID's than there are people on this earth. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
believe this was posted before, seems to be a very common thing. Try swithching high beam on , then start bike? does it light up then. OR start bike wait about 5-10 seconds, THEN hit high switch. It has something to do with start up power draw or? mind does the same thing. But if i try one of the above it lights up everytime, so i dont worry about it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, thanks for the info guys. I'll try switching the hi-beam on first then start the bike. I already tried waiting 5-10 seconds after bike started and wouldn't work. Then if all else fails, try switching ballasts and if that doesn't work I can contact DDM tuning. Lets hope for the best!!

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Bad idea to switch the lights on then start the bike.

When you hit the starter it removes power to the lights and when you take your thumb off the starter the bulb will try 'hot re-striking' which will reduce the life of the bulb, ballast and ignitor.

As Jake said, either swap the bulb or the ballast (whichever is easiest) and see what happens.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok, thanks for the heads up Nico, good thing I haven't had time to try it yet haha. Hopefully I can switch out the ballasts this weekend.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Bulb or ballast, doesn't matter which. Depending on how you have it all hidden away I suspect the bulb would be easier?

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Bad idea to switch the lights on then start the bike.

When you hit the starter it removes power to the lights and when you take your thumb off the starter the bulb will try 'hot re-striking' which will reduce the life of the bulb, ballast and ignitor.

As Jake said, either swap the bulb or the ballast (whichever is easiest) and see what happens.
agree, but at least this way he can see if its a bad ballast or bulb. Have high beam switched on! then start bike, if your high still doesnt lite, you have a bad ballast or bulb imo

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is the second thread i've seen about this issue, of course just as I'm gearing up to buy a DDM kit people start having issues with them. If your running 55w DDM recommends you buy their 15 dollar harness for the high beam that wires straight to the battery. People are having issues with the 35w as well.

Well no HID for me.

·
Administrator
51,150 Posts
I have had the 35 W for over 3 years and no problems the Ballast that went bad
was my Bud's 55W that got replaced with warranty

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
This is the second thread i've seen about this issue, of course just as I'm gearing up to buy a DDM kit people start having issues with them. If your running 55w DDM recommends you buy their 15 dollar harness for the high beam that wires straight to the battery. People are having issues with the 35w as well.

Well no HID for me.
hmm interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts