Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Breaking the cat out? Do you mean removing the cat by replacing the existing headers with aftermarket headers? Such as a full system or arrow headers?

Yes removing the cat will help the cbr. It allows for air to move more freely, and gives it better throttle response and rhp. More aftermarket parts can be added to better supplement the change.

If you are tracking the bike, this is a must and really a first major mod that needs to be done IMO.

If you are just planning on street riding, this mod is really unnecessary. Unless, you have the extra funds and are going mod crazy. Then go for it!

Hope this helps...

Also, this has been covered a thousand times. Use the search bar next time for a quicker response.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't waste youur time and effort using the search, ask a question thats what forums are all about :)

Anyway Ry6rr changed his full system not long ago and when dyno'd the difference between an Akrapovic slip on and the factory headers+cat was only a couple of BHP down on a full Akrapovic system, showing that the factory headers and cat do very little to restrict air flow, its a lot less than the likes of other manufacturers that you can see a 10+bhp gain.

However you might also need to look at getting a power commander as removing the cat changes the way the ecu reads the O2 sensor output and so will weaken things off

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a bodis slip on exhaust, was thinking just breaking the cat out? The sensor is before the cat so would it make any difference to the sensor? As the exhaust gases have already past the sensor before getting to the cat?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
184 Posts
Even with the sensor before the cat, it'll change how the sensor meters the gases, they will flow quicker and so won't read properly. Bottom line is, if thats what you want to do then go for it, the bhp prob won't even be felt, though I guess it'll sound like it has more power, but I'd suggest getting it on a dyno if you decat it to just double check the mix is within safety zone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts