Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I left the key in the ON position for about 20 minutes by accident and now the bike won't start. Did 20 minutes really kill the battery?

What do I do at this point?

I would assume you cannot jump a bike with a car...
Will a battery tender get it going again? Or is it shot and I need a new battery?

·
Administrator
51,150 Posts
Sure twenty minutes with the ignition left on can kill the battery it's not that strong or big enough to hold a strong load to begin with the battery basically is strong enough to get the starter motor turned on , prime the fuel pump and get the motor going & while riding it gets recharged to keep the electronics , lights in operation .

You can jump the bike battery off a car 's battery just make sure the car's engine is not running .
Also a battery tender can prolong your bike's battery for sure where in the winter month you take the battery off the bike and get it hooked up to a battery tender .

One last thing just because the battery died after leaving the ignition turned on does not mean you get a bad battery on the contrary what happened is normal

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Sportbike batteries are very small, and the lights will kill them quickly. Lights and the fan running can run a battery out in about 6 minutes.

It's bad to run batteries out, but that doesn't mean it's dead. While jumping with a car is possible, there's plenty written about the dangers of jump starting one vehicle with vastly different capacity and resistance by using another.

A battery tender will bring it back to life overnight, or you can bump start the bike and ride it under load (greater than 4.5k) for about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - I will try to jump it after work today and leave it running for 25 mins afterwards to recharge it.

Was installing a slip-on last night and checking for / fixing the clamps to get rid of some leaks and left the key in the ON position so I could keep turning the bike on and off without realizing I was eventually going to kill it.

Pipe sounds good though :) Hopefully didn't come at the expense of a new battery.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Don't just leave it running after you jump it, you need to ride it.
Ride it hard. :spank:
No but seriously, idle RPMs wont really charge it much. Jump it before you're about to leave to go somewhere.

·
Administrator
51,150 Posts
Don't just leave it running after you jump it, you need to ride it.
Ride it hard. :spank:
No but seriously, idle RPMs wont really charge it much. Jump it before you're about to leave to go somewhere.
The idle process alone won't charge it like stated above it has to be ridden that is how the battery recharges itself :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts