Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '03 RR and have been push starting the bike for a while now. For the past few months the bike had been sitting in the garage, but the battery seemed like it was on the outs before winter.

How do I know that battery is for sure dead before I fork out $100.00 for a new one? I am thinking that I should charge it but I don't have a Motorcycle battery charger. I DO HAVE a charger for R/C car batteries that is adjustable between .5amps and 6.5amps. Could I use this to charge the battery overnight?? I know its a weird question...

The only reason I am hesitant about just buying a new battery is b/c I have an '03 and have read a little bit about the charging issues these bikes have had.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Get a batt tender. They cost like 30 bucks. Next thing you need to do is a load test on the batt to find out if it holds the charge. Last but not least, do a charging system check. The rectifier was bad on the 03 so I put one that came off an 05.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
take the battery to an autoparts store that can load test it and/or charge it.
give that a try...otherwise get a battery tender, charge and try it out.

i dont think you could use the R/C charger for your battery. my .02

K

·
0 Posts
I have a '03 RR and have been push starting the bike for a while now. For the past few months the bike had been sitting in the garage, but the battery seemed like it was on the outs before winter.

How do I know that battery is for sure dead before I fork out $100.00 for a new one?
Load test the battery.

I am thinking that I should charge it but I don't have a Motorcycle battery charger.
Your dealer / the place where you'll get the battery tested will be able to charge it no problem. 1 hour at 4 amps is the absolute MAXIMUM rate for charging. NO MORE.

I DO HAVE a charger for R/C car batteries that is adjustable between .5amps and 6.5amps. Could I use this to charge the battery overnight?? I know its a weird question...
If it's 12 volt and has a timer, let er go overnight. 10 hours at .9 amps is the standard charge.

The only reason I am hesitant about just buying a new battery is b/c I have an '03 and have read a little bit about the charging issues these bikes have had.
and rightly so. you should get it checked out. go out and buy yourself a multimeter and test the charging system. why buy a new battery when the charging system is burning them out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts