Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys need some input here.

In the middle of a trip on a pit stop this past weekend I gear up to get going and as I hit the start button I hear it turn over once and then abrupt silence. Bike goes totally dead.

When I turn the key all that happens is the clock turns off on the dash. Aboslutely nothing else happens. No pump prime, dark cluster, no headlight, nothing. When I turn the key back to 'off' the rpm needle cycles through the range and back down and the clock comes back on.

Towed her back home and checked all the usual stuff: all fuses ok, wiring harness seems good. Heres the thing with the battery: It holds 12.7V alone, BUT when I connect it to the bike I measure only 10.4V - what gives?

It was a hot day and the bike was running warm - did something fry when I tried to start it?

edit: its an '03

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Bad battery. When it's alone... 12V no problem. When you turn the bike on and it has to power the headlight... Your battery is dropping to like 3V ( junk battery ) which is why your clock and everything is off. When you turn the bike off, you're turning off the headlights and everything, so now your battery has enough power to run the clock.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i bump start the bike?

i live on a hill so i need to know if this thing will start like my old carbed bike despite all the electronics and such.

·
Registered
98 Posts
have your battery checked at an auto parts store, but i'm going to say that it's probably not ur battery. only reason i say that, is b/c your rpm needle does the normal cycle when you turn the key OFF and the clock comes back on...that part is strange to me and would lead me to believe that you have a short somewhere (which is why ur battery drops 3v) or some kind of intermittent connection.

either way, good luck and hope u figure it out soon.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Its your battery. Check the voltage with the key on. The reason the needle sweeps when you turn the bike off is cause ( like I said ) when you turn it off, you're turning off the headlight and such. Then the voltage goes back up to 12v and its like you just hooked the battery up. When you do that... it sweeps.

And yes, you can bump start it. Or jump start it. Only thing to be careful... Your charging system can only handle so much at idle speed. If you're at a stop light and your radiator fan kicks on, your bike might die in the middle of the road. ( and I say might)

·
Registered
48 Posts
do you have any aftermarket parts such a leds etc? if so are they wired directly to the battery? if they are diconnect them and reconnect the battery without them hooked up...my buddy's died going down the raod because he wasn't getting a good connection due to some leds with a bad connection and they were draining his battery....plus check for corrosion...if all else fails go buy a battery at a prats store and try it out...most batteries have a 90 day money back garuantee so hook up the new battery and see if cranks...if it does then it was just a weak battery if it doesn't then ruturn the new battery and get your money back and it would have to be a wiring problem...if that is the case take it to a ceritified shop...good luck man...must be frustrating

·
Registered
182 Posts
i had a problem much like this one with my 05' 600rr.. No headlight, fuel pump will not cycle but gauges come on as normal... Right?? I never did isolate the problem, but narrowed it down to a possible bad ground. what i had to do to get the bike to start was to disconnect the ignition relay and jump the connections (ie. one of the left contacts to one of the right cotacts) with a spare piece of wire.. this atleast got me running.. I highly suggest you take your bike to a dealer, unless you are a super nerd when it comes to your bike and you want/ can fix it yourself.. FYI, i spent months trying to figure this out myself without any real solution. therefore if you figure it out post up, i know of others that have had this same issue with the '03-'06 bikes... Wish you the best...

My solutions to the problem was selling it and buying a new '08!! best choice ever!!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I highly suggest you take your bike to a dealer, unless you are a super nerd when it comes to your bike and you want/ can fix it yourself..

My solutions to the problem was selling it and buying a new '08!! best choice ever!!

Yea, do not take it to a dealer. Simple... turn the bike on and check the voltage of the battery. When it says 3V or 1V or something like that... go get a new battery then go riding.

You don't have to be a super nerd... let me be the super nerd and tell you what to replace. This way you can still be cool without buying a new bike.

BTW... My bike is dirty and the tires are worn out. But I'm not going to sell it and get a new one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok guys heres where I'm at:

jumped the battery and the gauges light up and the bike started like normal. I removed the negative booster from the bike and it dies. I jump it again and hold the throttle open mostly at around 3k for like 5mins to try and charge the batt. I remove the negative, she idles fine for a min and the second I move the throttle grip she dies. Batt with ignition off reads like 13V and with it on is like 0.7V. Bike is back to like it was before.

Is my rectifier toast? Any chance this batt may be good but more importantly - is there a point in getting a new one without replacing the rectifier?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Ok, battery is dead. ( not necessarily junk but just not charged )

Get the bike running and check the voltage of the battery @ 5K RPMs. It should be more than 12V but less then 15.5V If it is... then your rectifier is ok. ( According to the service manual )

Before you buy a new battery, you can have the old one checked at almost any autoparts store and they can tell you if it's still good or not. ( they load test it )

Don't listen to CTM... He's just here to start trouble. He has a pic of another .net member's car in his avatar. Not only would he steal your generator... he'll steal the pics of your generator too.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
bro, thats why your battery is dieing. its not gettin charged.
03-04 bikes are notorious for burned out r/r's. do a search and youll see.

replace it.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Ok, battery is dead. ( not necessarily junk but just not charged )

Get the bike running and check the voltage of the battery @ 5K RPMs. It should be more than 12V but less then 15.5V If it is... then your rectifier is ok. ( According to the service manual )

Before you buy a new battery, you can have the old one checked at almost any autoparts store and they can tell you if it's still good or not. ( they load test it )
yes, follow the steps in the manual......it's not that hard....what does suck is when you come to the bottom of the trouble shooting section and u've ruled out everything, so all that's left is a short somewhere.....finding those is not fun :all_cohol

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
hmm sounds just like my bike.. my battery is junk (its 6 years old with 20k on it)... but my rectifier is junk also.. so i'm putting my $5 on both being junk..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts