Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer offered me $6440 for my 09 Phoenix.

They want MSRP for a red 2010 1000rr.

I've heard invoice is $10k. I know they will list my Phoenix for $7,500. If they make the 1000rr 11ish, I will buy...

What is a REALISTIC price for a 1000rr?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Sell it on your own dealers will always bend you over when trading

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you really want to go to the 1000rr then do a private sale on the 600. It may be a little more hassle with paperwork and such but you will make out better in the end and owe less on the 1Krr when you pick it up.

·
Registered
383 Posts
not sure if Honda has incentives anymore, but my local dealer in Louisville, KY was willing to let a new 07 1000rr out the door for $7400 about a yar ago. If you can find a left over 07 ot 08 you can steal it. I agree, you should be able to sell your bike for more than trade in, and then you have more bargaining power. Otherwise, negotiate a price on a new bike before telling the dealership that you want to trade your current bike in.
Just curious, why a 1000rr?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
MSRP?... fawk that mang! If they like the bike so much, they can keep it. Find another dealer who wants to sell that bike.

·
Registered
857 Posts
you will get more if you sell yourself, but if you trade for $6440 you will save big in tax on the new purchase.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6400 isn't bad for a trade, but they are looking for MSRP and are notorious for not budging. I'm absolutely not paying MSRP.

If I can get the bike for 11'ish I will buy. I don't think they will get there though. He made a little comment '6440 is more than I should give'. I don't think they are motivated to make a deal. It's their last 1krr too... Oh well. New dealer!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Try this simple tactic: Mention their chief competition and walk towards the door.

If they are willing to play ball then they will *not* let you leave. If they let you walk out than you're better off going somewhere else anyway.

But seriously, go private sales man, you're gunna get a better deal. Sell the 600 on here, and get on the 1000rr forums to purchase. Enthusiast to enthusiast sales are ALWAYS the way to go if you're working with a niche vehicle.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could sell privately, but I don't think I will 'easily' get $7,000 for it. Then in MA I have to guarantee it passes inspection otherwise whatever it fails for, I'm on the hook for paying... So any shop can be buddy buddy with someone, fail it and then I'm legally on the hook to pay... No such thing as 'as/is' in Mass.

As for a used bike, personally, I see a used bike like a leased truck. Some people take care of them, but the vast majority go the three years without a single oil change or tire rotation, drive around on empty...etc.

It's so easy to abuse a bike, I just don't think I could bring myself to buy a used bike, especially from anyone in my area.

A

·
0 Posts
if invoice is 10k why are u willing to pay 11k????? thats a full 1k over!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
you will get more if you sell yourself, but if you trade for $6440 you will save big in tax on the new purchase.
Depends on the state. In Rhode Island that is true for cars, but not bikes. What a ripoff in the state of RI when trading in a bike (basically no credit for tax on the trade in).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if invoice is 10k why are u willing to pay 11k????? thats a full 1k over!!!
I have a trade that needs tires...I see KBB is mid 5's. I'd pay 1k over invoice if they give me the 6440.

BUT, I may just skip out on the CBR all together. I just had a look at the S1000rr...oh man.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
I have a trade that needs tires...I see KBB is mid 5's. I'd pay 1k over invoice if they give me the 6440.

BUT, I may just skip out on the CBR all together. I just had a look at the S1000rr...oh man.
The Beemer :rocker: ya Boy :banger: now you are talking :fiddy:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update.

Dealer offered 6440 on my 09 Phoenix. They messed up some numbers really bad, told me my monthly payment that was WAY too low for the numbers they gave me. I kept calling questioning the numbers saying I don't understand how it's so cheap but if that is what you say...

I got a call from my bank with the terms of the loan and instantly the numbers didn't jive with me. I knew the dealer messed up.

Now, I could have royally screwed the dealer. But out of good faith and having a conscience, I called the dealer and explained what they were doing wrong. They insisted they had everything under control. I gave them all the numbers again and still, the finance manager was clueless. Finally I said look, here are the numbers....take a minute to look at them and call me back when you understand.

About 10 minutes later the FM calls me and FINALLY understands how they almost just sold me a 1krr for 5700 AND would have still owed my bank 5400 for my payoff. So they would have put 6440 down on the new bike (by accident), sold me the bike for 5700 AND owed my bank 5400 for the title of my Phoenix.

Almost lost 10k. I was about 45 minutes away from taking my lunch break at work and going to pick up my new bike.

I still have my 09 Phoenix. :cruising:

·
Registered
689 Posts
it depends on your area...i was going to sell my bike at the start of summer and i had a buyer for 8 grand..than again my bike had only 1200 miles on it at the time and i got the extended warranty the whole nine..i backed out because i came to reality that i would be wasting tons of money on getting another bike so i decided to just keep what i got. so even with a little miles and no warranty i dont see a problem gettin atleast 7500 on a 09 msrp on the pheonix was 10.5 ...think bout it if somebody were to buy a new bike @ $11,500 is what msrp is on the new 2010 leyla than u got dealer set up, tax, and maybe the extended warranty you lookin at an easy 13 grand...i would list it for 8500 just to leave room for negotiation...atleast see what kinda hits your getting and what people are offering you than somewhat meet in the middle. good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts