Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 is the first brand new bike ive ever had, and my buddies keep saying i should have the first few oil changes done at the dealership so that if anything happens to the bike they cant come back and say it was because of my own negligence. id really rather do it myself but im just making sure before i do. any reason for me not to do it myself?

btw great forum, im learning alot.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I can give you a few reasons not to go to the dealer to get stuff done... Do it yourself!!! Learn about your bike. Enjoy the site. T

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
do it yourself.... honda won't void your warranty for any mods unless they can prove that they jepordised the bike from wrong installation or something like that. its in your manual. there are plenty of right ups on it on here. as tripage said get to know your bike plus who wants to pay the dealer an outragous amount just to chang the oil

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
The only time the dealer's service department has seen my bike was for the rear brake recall. Save your receipts for all your maintenance expenses and they can't void your warranty. All you have to prove is that the work was done.

Welcome to the forum bro!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Word of advice though.... If you do it yourself, use the proper oil filter wrench. Don't ask how I know this.:icon_hang

K

·
0 Posts
600rr.us

follow the oil change instructions found on that site. saved me a ton of time and broken parts!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I got the first one done at the dealer so they can look over the bike and check for any defects mechanically. I watched them do my service and they took almost 2 hrs going over my bike. The oil change and chain lube was quick, but I could tell that they were really checking things over, which was good. It wasen't a matter of not knowing what I was doing because I have had motorcycles for 24 years...I know how to change the oil obviously. The oil change, chain lube, and check over was only $85. I actually got a real good deal on the bike and on top of it had them tell me how much the first oil change was gonna be. After they told me, I asked for that much more off the top and got it. So...yes I think it is worth it to get the first oil change done at the dealer so long as it is under $100 and they actually do what they are supposed to do. All future oil changes are done by me.

N

·
0 Posts
First one I'd get it done at a dealership for your records (ie. if you decide to sell or for warranty purposes). I say warranty because should any engine parts become defective, at least you'll have record proving you had your first oil change at your local dealership as suggested in case they try to blame you for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
first one dealership alll the way. like nem said but plus, i know at my shop we use a stand to do it. the importantance in the first one is the engine chippings need to be taken out through that first oil change. Let them do the first for records and the fact that its so important. do the next 2 yourself.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
u guys are scaring people i think. is it that difficult to change the oil? i saw a write up on how to do it w/o even removing the fairings.. seemed easy enough. hardest part seemed like it was taking the filter off and replacing it to a specific torque. ive always made mine "snug" by hand and nvr had an isssue.

K

·
0 Posts
Using an Oil Filter Socket and wrench should do fine.

The honda Gasket is really small, that's why you have to crush it on with a torque specification to make sure the polyurethane o-ring seats well. If you're using the Purolator PureOne filters, this is not nearly so critical as their rubber o-rings are quite a bit thicker and seat quite easily. If you're using Honda filters, torque it on good and tight. Anything else can just be installed as you would on a car.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm using a Honda filter at the moment, but I have every intention is switching to Purolator PureOne OR Bosch Premium at my next filter change. I say filter change (and not oil change) because I am doing a long term oil analysis study on my bike, so a filter change is all that i will be doing if it is so necessary.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sounds interesting. good luck with that. ill probably end up using a honda for now. maybe a k&n later. im still trying to learn all i can about my bike.

K

·
0 Posts
K&N makes a fine filter, but both Bosch and Purolator do as good a job (if not better, i cannot find any data on K&N filtration efficiency) and cost considerably less.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts