Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why Are Dealers Bashing OTD Cyclesports?

I've been on the search for a good deal on a new CBR. I'd say about half of the dealers I've talk to have something negative to say about OTD. I've been told they sell Crate Damaged bikes, and the bikes are just thrown together by unqualified workers. That's why they can sell the bikes for so cheap. Here is one email I recieved today from Hollister Honda.
Greg,

I spoke with my GM and $9,499.00OTD is the lowest we can go on the red
CBR600. In short the LA OTD Cycles sells the red CBR600 for $9,399.00
because they assemble their bikes using $8/hr kids and we use $90/hr
certified Honda mechanics. It cost us $200 to assemble a bike and it
cost OTD in LA $20 so their in lies the difference. Basically they are
making more money than we are and charging less because they using
non-certified tech's to assemble their bikes.

Greg, if price is the only objective than go with the $9399OTD price
but if want a bike that has been put together correctly by a certified
Honda mechanic than we are happy to sell you the bike @ $9,499.000.
Let me know as I will be at the shop this weekend.

Take it easy,

David Ginkel

Does anyone know if any of this is true? I've called OTD and they denied it of course, but I don't know who to believe. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
A guy can do good business and make a sale without bashing people. I will not do business with people who run their operation like that...period. Furthermore, David's general manager most likely wants people to beleive it costs more than $200 to assemble the bike. LOL! If you look at the setup fees typically, don't they add up to more that $200 when they typically want to sell you a 600RR at $10,500 OTD?! Not at all impressed with the lack of professionalism at that dealer. I can vouch that Long Beach Motorsports treated me well and gave me a sick deal.

Don't do this dealing stuff online or on the phone. You always should go in and feel the situation out in person. Try to connect with someone cool at the dealership that is gonna be a good go between with the sales manager.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Don't do this dealing stuff online or on the phone. You always should go in and feel the situation out in person. Try to connect with someone cool at the dealership that is gonna be a good go between with the sales manager.
+1 do everything in person

·
Registered
79 Posts
OTD is awesome, i got my '07 from them, i do not have enough good things to say about them..

got mine in April right when the '08s were out.

i said i wanted a black 07 and he said ok, ill get one for you, transferred it to the closest dealer and everything free of charge.

when i was shopping everyone said their prices were nuts and theres no way they could match them.

w/e haha im happy, i got the one i wanted in the end!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
the only things i've ever heard that were negative towards OTD were from sales guys at local dealerships. everyone that has purchased from OTD that i've ran into has been very happy and can't say enough good things about them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
OTD is the place to get it, i got mine in oakland/san leandro OTD last april for my 07 and they had the lowest price everywhere, plus they're great to work with and customer service is top notch.

I trust OTD, but hey. that's only me

·
Registered
802 Posts
That guy is a typical lying ass salesman trying to scare and buddy tactic at the same time. Fug him regardless.

I have never heard a bad thing about OTD, but I've never bought from them because I have always beat their price by a couple hundred elsewhere

In the end, you cant go wrong with OTD for a fine price and easy transaction.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies. I feel much more confident to buy from OTD now. I still can't find anyone to beat their price in Socal, so it looks like I will most likely buy from OTD unless I can find cheaper price before next week. Hopefully I will be getting my bike next week. I can't wait.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
well i wouldn't expect the competition to have good things to say about otd, but that's jes how the world works. i've bought two bikes from otd and both were fine. also, my brother bought from one of the bad mouthing dealerships and on our first ride his shift rod fell off in the canyons. basically buy where it's cheaper and check the bike over when taking delivery.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I don't know... there's something to be said for professional assembly. On the '07 I bought, so far:

1) 5mm allen key left behind stock windscreen
2) flange bolt that holds tip of subframe tray to exhaust heatshield missing, found sitting loose in bolt well on right side of subframe
3) Tape left on rear shock resevoir
4) Small wire attached to positive battery post connected to nothing/unknown origin

Who knows what else? I'm afraid I may have a lemon, thank goodness assembly doesn't touch the actual mechanical bits.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i had no problems with OTD in OC when i bought my bike there.

the only thing is, since you're getting a great deal, they leave you with very little gas....lol. So you must filler up down the street.

just make sure you do a walk through before buying it to make sure everything is in tact and there are no scratches. GL and ride safe!

·
Registered
79 Posts
OTD is the place to get it, i got mine in oakland/san leandro OTD last april for my 07 and they had the lowest price everywhere, plus they're great to work with and customer service is top notch.

I trust OTD, but hey. that's only me
same place as me, its a nice dealership, good selection too.

as long as your not scared off by the 7 ft fence and razorwire surrounding the place LOL

but the guys there are really chill.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought a new graffiti from them the nite before..

flawless and smooth transaction

the other dealers (Berts, Temple-City) had the same thing to say about them, but you know what, its better not to do business with such guys.

Temple City was good, but please avoid Berts at all costs.

Here are a few pics, if it helps make your decission.

hope this helps make up your mind

K

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry, the only Honda techs that get paid $90/hr work at the Honda R&D Center In Japan making motorcycles from scratch and also have 8 years schooling, and 20 years in the books at Honda.

no. no. Of the $90 they charge per hour of work, they loose $9.45 of it, because that's what the Assembler gets paid, and that's money lost.

I don't know what this guy is talking about, really. you sure he's in sales and not in fabrication? seems pretty good at fabricating lies...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Emailing or calling worked for me in the past. It saved me from having to drive to the dealership that won't give me a good OTD price.
OTD is a good place, if they actually have some unqualified person working for the dealership. I am sure they would have gotten sued for everything. They can afford to offer low price because OTD understand the concept of free market. That is to stay competitive they have to offer competitive prices, that goes along the supply and demand for the particular motorcycle.
My suggestion, stay away from that a hole of a dealership.
I've known quite a few people that got their bikes from OTD, including myself with zero problem from their sales, and service dept.

K

·
0 Posts
$90/hr*40hrs*52 weeks= $187,200 Net

OK, so multiply that by 33% = $61,776

Minus the 13,931.75 deduction is $47,844.25

so there's your federal Income tax amount, subtract that from your net pay = $139,355.75

hahahahahaha! YEAH. All the service tech in here, go demand a pay rase if you don't make at least that much! and we're not even talking about bonuses yet!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All of you guys are awesome! I don't know what I'd do without this site. Thanks to everyone that responded. :five:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts