Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So iv had my RR for a year and a half now and I just turned 20, and i guess i look a bit young, but not super young, most people say i look around 18-19 which i dont mind but onto dickhead dealers. Out here in Palmdale we have 2 Honda Stores a yamaha/kawisaki store and Suzuki is spit with one of the honda stores. But I used to go in there once or twice a month just to check things out cause i was into bikes, .....Now i noticed while i was looking for a bike,.. i would go into the honda store or yamaha store and ask some normal questions about the bikes i was interested in. And i would get the stupidest looks and most scarcastic short ass answers. It was all because i was young. Then after i got my bike i would still go in to buy stock oil filters and what not, but the point is.....I didnt get ANY respect what-so ever until they saw me ride up on my bike. And then when i finally decided to ride over there for once the guys came out and looked at my bike and were asking me questions about my paint job and my pipe....I felt like telling them right there "You guys really shouldnt be such dickheads to younger people."

Thats all just a quick story to see if anyone else has experianced anything like this.

- Aaron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah man. That kind of thing will happen all the time so get used to it. That happened to me when I was buying my house (realtor) buying my car, and buying my bike. Money talks. Next time take a stack of cash and slap the salesperson with it. This should get their attention. Cash is King!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
In our area, there are only two Acura dealers. When I was looking to buy a new car, one of them was very willing to work with me from the moment I walked in the door. The other treated me as if I had no reason to be there, and basically ignored me. I think you can surmise which dealer got the sale.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i really want to do this too one day. When I make enough money, to go into a mercedes dealership with riped jeans and a t-shirt and ask to look around. :) I want to see what type of response I get, and have cash in hand with me. I know its a lot of cash but just to prove a theory. I am sure they will not give me any time of day, when I walk in. But when I am walking out waving the cash in front of their face, it would give me pleasure to see what type of expression they would have on their faces.

*hopefully I won't get mugged when i exit the dealership*

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
LIke absoluke said, Get use to it. Most salesmen don't want to waste their time with ppl who can't buy anything. They work off comission, so if you look young, look like a bum, pretty much look like you can't afford to buy whatever you are looking at they will be short and short.. till you show some cash or show that you can buy this item they will be willing to help. I even did the same thing when i worked at the car dealership. Most ppl that came in my dealership wanted to buy stuff they couldn't afford, roll up in a POS and want to by a 40k car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Never judge the book by the cover. I run a car dealership , and I have my guys treat all people with respect . The law states you can not even show a car to a person who is not at least 18 yrs old . We will let the young person look over the inventory and treat them respectfully. These kids almost 99% of the time will at least bring their parents back because we treated them with respect.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Steve-o said:
LIke absoluke said, Get use to it. Most salesmen don't want to waste their time with ppl who can't buy anything. They work off comission, so if you look young, look like a bum, pretty much look like you can't afford to buy whatever you are looking at they will be short and short.. till you show some cash or show that you can buy this item they will be willing to help. I even did the same thing when i worked at the car dealership. Most ppl that came in my dealership wanted to buy stuff they couldn't afford, roll up in a POS and want to by a 40k car.
maybe they saved up enough money so they can get rid of their POS.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
typeshx98 said:
i really want to do this too one day. When I make enough money, to go into a mercedes dealership with riped jeans and a t-shirt and ask to look around. :) I want to see what type of response I get, and have cash in hand with me. I know its a lot of cash but just to prove a theory. I am sure they will not give me any time of day, when I walk in. But when I am walking out waving the cash in front of their face, it would give me pleasure to see what type of expression they would have on their faces.

*hopefully I won't get mugged when i exit the dealership*
They will ask if they can help since you look like a bum. If you say you want to look at some cars they will let you wonder around. Don't expect a demo ride without doing a credit app. Other than that they will just watch you. Now if you come with a hand full of cash they will show you around.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I was looking for my RR. It really shouldn't bother you if you actually intend on buying what you're looking at. If I go into a place to schmooze around and check out some new stuff I tell them that and they leave me alone. When I went to look for an RR I talked to this kid who was younger than me and was totally rude. So not only did I find another salesman, but I bought it 5 minutes later. Also turns out that the same kid apparently made a scene when his parents wouldn't buy him an RR earlier that year. :lol2:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
You want instant courtesy (please quit using the word "respect" - we earn respect over time through deeds and demeanor, courtesy is free - respect isn't) be upfront with them. "Hi, I'm here to purchase if we can strike a deal." or "Not buying today, just gathering data so I can pick the winning dealership when I buy next month." You'll find they're a little less likely to blow you off.

You might have a tough time finding poor service at a Mercedes dealership regardless of how you dress.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here in Hawaii there are two Honda dealers on the island. There is no competion and I noticed that their customer service is ****. They know people can't go anywhere else if they want a Honda. It's not, "what can we do for the customer," it's more like, "what can you do for me." I had just gotten a lone from the bank and set out to buy a bike (I'm 27 but I look 19 ;-) ) And I was completly ignored. I had a hand full of cash!! If the sales guy had even looked in my direction I would have bought a bike from him, but instead I got no help. I'm no expert on running a business, but that seems like a stupid way treat customers. I don't need the dealer kissing my ass...but the least they could do is say wassup.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha, yea some people are dickheads, but ill tell you one thing, if i was a bit older and i walked into the shop without even saying a word someone would come up to me or at least ask me if i needed help. At my current age i walk into there and i have to bug someone to buy a damn oil Filter haha. But yea i'm used to it now, and im just too much of a nice guy to speak up and tell them how it is.

- Aaron

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow to tell yout he truth i've never had a problem w/ honda Dealers. i've been going into them all over the place since i was like 16 (23 now) and it always seemed to me that i coudl always find one that would shoot the sh*t about bikes w/ me even though i wasn't intending to buy yet. now car dealerships ont he other hand... like Galpin Ford in LA.... I hate them i would buy a car from another dealer for twice the price before i'd ever buy a car from them. every time i ever go in there to buy (2 so far and two time to many) I get really rude answers like "are you really gonna buy this or are you wasting my time !". but to be hypocrit there parts department is actually pretty reliable. well thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I am 30. I have bought three new bikes over the past 5 years. I can still walk into a dealer I have previously bought a bike from and no one wants to even approach me. The market is cruisers and guys that just want a 1000cc cause "it fits them bettert than a 600." HA!

Anyhow, salespeople are not alway experts in what they sell. I have found this more true in motorcycling than in any other product.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The people being Dickheads, it's just an age thing, usually when you hit your mid twenties the respect meter bumps up alittle. It's not until you look alittle older that the respect really starts happening, and as you all know, looks and respect go hand n hand. That means if you want respect from older people, ditch the mohawk and heavy piercings.
Nothing screams McDonalds employee to a salesman like a zero gauge nose ring or a big hoop for a earlobe and jeans hanging to your knees.
It does suck and people shouldn't judge you on your looks, but it's a fact of life.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
GMbusa said:
The people being Dickheads, it's just an age thing, usually when you hit your mid twenties the respect meter bumps up alittle. It's not until you look alittle older that the respect really starts happening, and as you all know, looks and respect go hand n hand. That means if you want respect from older people, ditch the mohawk and heavy piercings.
Nothing screams McDonalds employee to a salesman like a zero gauge nose ring or a big hoop for a earlobe and jeans hanging to your knees.
It does suck and people shouldn't judge you on your looks, but it's a fact of life.
Sad but true. I used to have 3/4 inch plugs in my ears, they're closed now and I notice people take me seriously or don't look at me like I'm about to hurt them. You'll always be judged by your looks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea that is true, very true. Yea haha, I actually went into the Honda Dealer out here last week with a friend of mine, and they dont know anything about their new products. My friend asked the guy sitting at the desk by all the sport bikes if there was a difference between the 03-04 RR's and the new 05's and he said they were exactly the same, I just turned my head and closed my eyes. He didnt know a damn thing haha. I mean he works there and goes there every day, and his desk was right next to a row of bikes, 2 being new RRs He must just be really unaware not to notice the differences.

- Aaron

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Take your business elsewhere...the local honda shop is split up with a harley shop in town. Basically, if you dont ride a harley or a buell, they treat you like a peice of trash. After telling their parts guy off because he told me that my bike(04RR) wont hold a candle to any of their buells :lol: :lol: :lol:, i started to go to an out of town dealership for parts and or buying bikes. The other nearest dealer is 30-40 mins away, but its worth the drive! I would rather spend the couple bucks in gas, and the hour+ time in the car than deal with those morons in my town. They all work on commision and i still go in there every now and then and rub in all the business they COULD of had. I got a letter from the sales manager and general store manager begging and pleading me to do business with them, and in return, sent them a nice "F$#K off" letter. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts