Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get an appointment to get the 24k service on my 03 600rr, because I heard that that's the time to check and adjust the valves. Normally I do all my own work but seeing as it's summer I wanted to get back on the bike ASAP so taking on a valve job was out of the question. I asked twice if this service had the valve adjustment and they assured me it did. I call today to check on how things are going and they listed off the things they had done: oil change, break fluid change, coolant system flush, break pads, tire pressure, ect. NO VALVE ADJ. I was sooooo pissed because they are gonna charge me like $300 for things I could have done my self. The guy said "I'm sorry the service book doesn't have a valve adjustment at 24k, on the 1000rr it does..." I can't believe that they would tell me it was going to get done and then just not do it cuz the service book doesn't mention it. :drunk: So the question for yous guys is what is the proper time to do the valves on a 03 600rr? Just by sound? Mileage? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get to it this winter when the bike is in storage. Pissed off in Vermont! Don't ever go to Land Air Honda.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
i do mine by sound. the mileage interval for something like that is a baseline, my buddy at a honda dealer said its a waste of cash to do it before it needs to be done, no noise means no adjustment required.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think on the '07 it says check at 16k and adj. at 32k but I would never do it unless it starts making itself noticeable. If it idles perfect and revs perfect then you are golden. I absolutely never go to the dealership for work on a bike. If I had to though, I would get a written contract from them with exactly what they were going to do and how much it was gonna cost me. And I would take pictures of the bike all over to make sure they dont screw anything up. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know if this is general practice, but in California when you take your vehicle to any shop for work, the shop gives you a work order you must review and sign with details of jobs to be completed and price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it ended up working out not so bad. just told the guy i was pissed because he told me the valves were gonna get done, then i get a call to pick the bike up and learn they hadn't been done and i have a $350 bill. he gave me a discount on it to keep me happy so i ended up paying $250. more then i would have liked to for fluid changes but whatever shes back and running good.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I think on the '07 it says check at 16k and adj. at 32k but I would never do it unless it starts making itself noticeable. If it idles perfect and revs perfect then you are golden. I absolutely never go to the dealership for work on a bike. If I had to though, I would get a written contract from them with exactly what they were going to do and how much it was gonna cost me. And I would take pictures of the bike all over to make sure they dont screw anything up. Lesson learned.
:+1:

Stealerships will always try to suck out every dollar out of you. Next time make sure you have a written work estimate beforehand so you don't get screwed.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Yeah, what does it sound like if the valves need to be adjusted? I took mine in at the 16K mark and they said it was a bit too tight, so they loosened it? Oddly enough, ever since then, it seems like my miles per gallon has gotten lower.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
What does the bike sound like if the valves need adjustment? Will it be obvious?
From what i understand is you will hear a faint "ticking" sound at an idle and gets louder under throttle. although most of us won't hear it over the exhaust's :banger:. This is how i know when to adjust them on my 400EX (they need to be right now actually LOL)

·
Registered
546 Posts
OK lets clarify a couple things here, modern sportbikes like our 600RR use a shim under bucket valve train. As parts wear the clearances become tighter. New shims are put in to get the valve clearance back in tolerance. Clearances are measured with feeler guages with the piston at the proper position for each cylinder, if an adjustment must be done the cams are removed and the proper thickness shim is put in. Then the cams go back in, clearances are rechecked and if all is good the bike gets put back together. This is the summary version, google or search shows much more detail.

This is kind of the opposite of some other systems such as pushrod engines or dirt bikes that might have screw type adjusters where valves might get too much clearance and a popping can be heard. I doubt anyone can hear a tight valve in a shim under bucket design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.