Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post, but here goes: Ok so I just got back from a dealership not too far from here. As many of you know, I've been looking for a 600RR of my own. I went to the dealership hoping to talk them down on a new bike, just to see what I could get. Well i've been in communication with one of their salesmen for a little bit and he called me yesterday to tell me they had just gotten a red 2005 600RR as a trade in and it was in great shape. I knew it was a new trade-in because it wasn't there a few days ago when I had talked to him previously.

So i head down to the dealership on my GS500, hoping to work out a fair deal. I talk to the salesman, give them my 500 to get an appraisal, shoot the sh*t with the other customers and just hang out until I can get things going. I even go so far as to get approval for financing just to see if it'll help my chances (in hindsight, wouldn't recommend that). The '05 600RR is almost brand new - it has LESS THAN 500 MILES ON IT!!! Quite nice.

I, of course, have done my homework beforehand and know all the appropriate values for my bike, their bike, etc. They offer me $1400 for my bike (Blue Book trade-in = $1500). So that's fair, not great, but fair. But they're asking $7995 for the used CBR. KBB has it going full retain for $6800, and NADA has it for $7500. Now I can understand a raise in price for the low mileage on the CBR, but here's my deal: They wouldn't budge on their price. Not on penny. If i was willing to purchase a service plan through them, they'd knock ~$160 bucks off - not enough to make a difference to me, pus it'd cost me another $1k almost. Final cost still comes in over budget for me, by quite a bit. I'm willing to go over budget, but only a little bit. They're not willing to come down to meet me at all.

Now I believe that it's a great bike at a fair price when compared to a new bike. But I'm not looking for a new bike, I'm looking for a used bike. In the used market in this area, nothing similar is selling for more than $7k. NOTHING. So It's back to the classifieds and craigslist and here and cycle trader for me. If you know of anything, let me know. And please, feel free to tell me if I made the right call or call me a dumbass or whatever you feel like doing, you're gonna do it anyway. Ride safe!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thats the same problem I ran into when searching. All the used bikes 04-06 were going for at or near the new bike prices. I think what happens is that people finance the bikes. After tax. fee ect cost them like 9-10k. Pay the min payment of the bike for a year or so and then get something new. But they still owe 7,000 for the bike. So thats what they are selling it for.

I wouldn't have taken that deal either. GHC motorsports wants 7,7900 for a brand new one.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Get your financing worked out BEFORE you start looking for bikes. If your only choice is the dealer then you're stuck with thier prices and they know that. If you walk in and tell them you have financing already and you're looking to spend X amount of money, then you have more leverage. Not the upper hand by any means, but you do have some leverage to work with. They make money off of in-house financing deals. They get a percentage of each one.

But then again, you would be getting a practically brand new bike at $7,995. What are the new ones going for? 10-11K out the door tax/tag/title? So you'd be financing $6,600 for an '05 600RR with 500 miles on it.

BTW, forget the special package BS and buy JUST the bike. It's a Honda. Just check the bike out real good.

·
Registered
787 Posts
look elsewhere, go out of state if you have to, i wouldnt pay over 7 grand for an 05, 06 are just a few hundreds more

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
way too much, i think.

southern honda sells '06 600RRs for close to that price, out the door.

an '05 should be somewhere in the 6500-7200 range. thing is they know that the 05 and 06 are pretty much identical bikes.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hey man i know what u mean the ppl at clearwater Honda think that their bikes are made of gold and won't budge on price at all (man, i hate that place). Anyway I think u made a good decision on not buying, it just wasn't meant to be that day(or bike). I say just be patient and your deal will come.

Ken06RR said:
Thats the same problem I ran into when searching. All the used bikes 04-06 were going for at or near the new bike prices. I think what happens is that people finance the bikes. After tax. fee ect cost them like 9-10k. Pay the min payment of the bike for a year or so and then get something new. But they still owe 7,000 for the bike. So thats what they are selling it for.

I wouldn't have taken that deal either. GHC motorsports wants 7,7900 for a brand new one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I told the dealership several times I have cash in hand and would like to pay that way. They kept pushing financing so I figured I'd take a look to see if it would make them come down on their price (it didn't). Why? My reasoning is that I'll be making them more money, so they're more likely to drop the initial price of the bike. Of course, I still wasn't going to finance a total amount of more than I had, and whatever i did finance I would pay off right away (i hate paying interest on anything - it's just wasted money, if you can pay it off, do).

As far as to how much I expected to pay, here's my "plan:" Buy a used 600rr for less than $7k (or in that neighborhood). Sell my gs500 for a net profit on that bike of betweeen 1500 and 2000. so total out of pocket expense is between $5k and $6k. The dealership was $1100 over the top of my budget. I'm sorry, it looks like a great bike, and sounds like a great bike... hell, it IS a great bike, but it's too expensive. Like i said before, I'm in the market for a USED bike.

I know I made the right call, but man... sitting on that bike listening to her purr.... well hell you guys know. I've already had a couple offers from members of this board and I'm talking to a few guys. I'm predicting that within two weeks (I'd prefer a few days.. but whatever) I'll have a new (to me) 600rr. And yes, I'll post pics once the deal goes down. Ride safe!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Well with cash in hand you have all the time in the world to shop. Wait for the right deal. As you found out, paying in cash doesn't provocate the dealer to offer you some great discount as if you were a "special" customer. They could care less and telling them that makes them think, "Oh great. Another a$$hole that thinks we owe him something for paying in cash". They have their bottom line and that's that.

But I would consider talking to another sales associate or the sales manager about the bike if you have only been there once. Sometimes you get an a$$hole sales guy that's only thinking about his commission or maybe he's holding that deal for a friend and just jacked the price up so you'd leave. Who knows?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cash or financing doesn't make a difference - unless it's in-house financing. I used to think it did before I started working for Ocala Motorsports. I've heard terrible things about streits and I will tell you up front if they let you walk over 1100 - then someone f*cked up. I have sold plenty of bikes and lost money on tons of them. Seriously lost money. Our policy is to sell bikes and not to make money off just one person. I can probably get you 1500 for your bike and sell an 06 CBR600rr for the price of that used one. Come see me.

·
Registered
931 Posts
yea there is this place close to where i live and i went there with a buddy to trade in a sled. they told him to bring it in so we go. we get there n all of a sudden they dont wanna take anymore trade ins on sleds, and wouldnt budge from the msrp on the bike. i coudlnt belvie it! so he ended up getting the bike a lil ways away from there for liek 8200. i dont get why thease delearships are so hard headed on comin down in price. o well one less sale for them right!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts