Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so since march i have been working at a local Chevy dealer as a service advisor. i had never done this job before and my manager considered it an 'experiment' to hire a young guy with no experience for this job at a dealer where everyone has 8+ years of experience. well, the experiment aparently failed because i was let go yesterday. The reason...poor hours/RO.

Now, the guy who trained me has been at the same dealer for 9 years and has such a large repeat customer base that he could never great a non-appointment car on the drive and still do 15k a week and pull a 2.0. so, naturally i thought this was the way to go. focus on customer service and build a repeat customer base. well, the service manager didn't want to wait this long and was more interested in how much money i could squeak out of each car. sell, sell, sell.fustrating since most drive ins have appointments with one of the other advisors and the ones that don't just want an oil change, and i just couldn't bring myself to be overly pushy sales guy.

so, anyway, to make a long story alittle shorter my goal was 2.3, and i was only manageing 1.6-1.7. after an ultimatum of 2.0 over July and a acutal of 1.85. i'm out. never mind my perfect 4.0 CSI.

so my question is this: is every service department this focused on short term bottom line thinking? am i not cut out for this job? will i fit somewhere else or do i just move on and try to figure something else out? what have your experinces been with service advising?

i was making good money and really liked being around the shop, but i'm so disheartened with the business side of it that i really don't want to be anywhere near sales at the moment. but this could change....i dunno. help would be aprceated...

PS. sorry to those people who read this and have no idea what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thanks blue. yeah from that you really have to write or have writen service at a dealership to know what i'm talking about. but i know some people here have cuz we talked about it when i got the job...anywayz, just in case anyone wants to know heres the deal:

the number i'm refering to is average labor hours per repair order. so say a car comes in and just wants an oil change. that pays 0.3 hours labor. a tire rotation is 0.5. for repairs its what ever it is in the manual. 1.0 diagnosis plus whatever. so the point is to get the advisors to upsell. "oh you need an oil change (.3)? ok, did you know it was also time to rotate the tires (.7) and flush the transmission? (1.7)" ...or "sir, we got a look at your car (1.0) and it looks like we need to replace the intake manifold gasket (5.0)...also, the tech noticed that the rear diff is leaking (6.0).." etc.

there, so now you all have had a lession in why they are always trying to upsell you when you get your oil changed. those .3's absolutly kill your average.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
KhMeRGuY978 said:
wow, so from just hearing this, some service guys will tell you that you need something done when its not really needed?
not necessarily. like jiffy lube. they'll recommend things out the wazzoo cuz it makes extra money. and why shouldn't they? now if it's, your rear dif is leaking and it really isn't, then that's shady. but if they notice something and point it out, it's like a car salesman asking for the sale.

i guess a tip for ya then, coming from retail commissioned sales, would be to ALWAYS ask for the sale. you have to ask for it to close a deal. "would you like to wait for the work to be done or set up an appointment for later?" something to that effect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts