Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting a case of claustrophobia when I put on my motorcycle helmet. I am trying to break it in a little bit before my rider course and I have found that sitting in front of a fan with no chin strap on help a lot. So far I have had it on for about 30 minutes.

Any tips on how to overcome this? I think wearing glasses with it on is contributing to the feeling.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I wear glasses and never ever had such a feeling.

Do you happen to suffer claustrophobia in other scenarios?

If I had your problem with the helmet, I would be re-onsidering if bikes are meant for me.

Staying safe is nº1.

Helmet is nº 1 !

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I haven't experienced this feeling personally but maybe riding will take your focus away from it? My track helmet is really tight to the point where it almost cuts off circulation. But when I'm riding I don't even notice it.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I keep getting a case of claustrophobia when I put on my motorcycle helmet.
My ex-wife had something similar, as in she couldn't have the visor all the way down. She felt like she "couldn't breathe", so always had to have it popped open slightly.

After a couple weeks though, that went away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never felt claustrophobic until I put on this helmet. It feels like I have difficulty breathing with it on even though I can breath fine. It also feels like my heart is racing, but then I check my pulse and its fine. The heat from wearing it also doesnt help.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I can only imagine how uncomfortable you are feeling, sorry to hear. Maybe leave the visor open and rely on your glasses to protect your eyes while trying to get used to wearing a helmet?

Keep at it and see if it improves with some practices and persistence... Good luck, man.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
1. It's okay for the cheeks to be pretty tight - you want the helmet to have as little play as possible so when you move your head around or when 70mph+ wind is hitting the helmet it doesn't shift around on you.

2. When trying on helmets in the store I also get a 'closed in' feeling. I really think it has to do with being indoors and not on a bike that you get this feeling. It totally disappears when you are actually riding; in fact, when you ride for a helmet for some time, and do something where you end up riding the bike without a helmet, you feel incredibly vulnerable.

So don't worry much. When you are outside and on a bike and focusing on riding and not what your head feels like, everything will fall into place.

Still, what I said about open face helmets and the BRC still applies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking the same thing about being indoors, it's probably because there's no air flow, maybe that's why the fan helped?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats pretty wild drawing a fear response from something thats going to save your life. Try giving the wall a good whack with your helmet on and then with it off (a few times) maybe that will serve to tweek your sub-consciousness into line. Or lay on the floor face down...nose pressed against the floor... with it on and off. If you ever come off the bike with a helmet on, that **** will defiantly disappear. You'll be wearing the damn thing to bed lol or Looking for a hole in to......make mad passionate love to it. Hell id let my helmet **** me if I knew a bad wreck was coming down the road.

·
Registered
422 Posts
For some reason I open the visor at every red light, don't see anyone else doing it.
Yep I do this too. Just for air purposes though. Hell for probably my first 4-5 months of ownership I never even put my visor down and relied on my sunglasses for protection. Then I took a dragonfly to the face. Visor down now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep I do this too. Just for air purposes though. Hell for probably my first 4-5 months of ownership I never even put my visor down and relied on my sunglasses for protection. Then I took a dragonfly to the face. Visor down now.
Did you feel that the heat played a role in it also? I think my prescription glasses are whats pushing me over the edge with this feeling, they don't fit all that great with my helmet on and I feel that they distort my vision a bit. They only way they feel comfortable is if the top of the visor opening is down to my eyebrows since this puts them closer to where I would normally wear them without a helmet on. Im going to continue to wear it at home in front of a fan and see how things go. I just don't want to take my course and freak out with claustrophobia and not be able to finish it.

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
I hate to have to put it this way but man-up. Put the damn thing on, wear it properly and go get some seat time. You'll get over it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I hate to have to put it this way but man-up. Put the damn thing on, wear it properly and go get some seat time. You'll get over it.
Agree with this 100%

Reach down, find your balls, and quit being a little pvssy

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am very claustrophobic myself.. helmets don't' bother me but entering tight spots give me the same symptoms. For me as long as I can see my way out of something I'm fine. I think saying "Man Up" is not a answer. I wouldn't say that to someone with a peanut allergy( sure take some nuts..Man up) My best answer is buy a open face helmet.. and you can always try to wear you full face one for really short periods at a time and work up to it (if you can).

Hope this helps

Bigjdoberman

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,975 Posts
Not sure if seat time will fix the issue, same as eating more peanuts doesn't fix a peanut allergy. It's not advisable to tell someone that has a mild panic attack in there helmet to then add operating a motorcycle to the equation. I'm not sure how to fix it, nor will I make any suggestions. From personal experience though, my helmets always make me feel safe and cozy, like I'm in a familiar bed. Sorry you're having these problems mate.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: bigjdoberman

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I am very claustrophobic myself.. helmets don't' bother me but entering tight spots give me the same symptoms. For me as long as I can see my way out of something I'm fine. I think saying "Man Up" is not a answer. I wouldn't say that to someone with a peanut allergy( sure take some nuts..Man up) My best answer is buy a open face helmet.. and you can always try to wear you full face one for really short periods at a time and work up to it (if you can).

Hope this helps

Bigjdoberman
That's a false equivalency...it's more like a situation in which someone wants to drive a car but can't stand the seat belt...as someone that does get panic/anxiety attacks it's not a situation that I'd like to be in, but sadly bro you just gotta learn to like it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

Hope this helps

Bigjdoberman
That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. An allergy (aka something that could kill you) is completely different from something that is a fear in your mind.

Here's a legitimate answer to solve his problem.... sell your sport bike and buy a harley... that automatically allows you to ride without a helmet!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts