Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Control your breathing. Slow it down. Be normal about it. Having the helmet on does not hinder your breathing. You're probably accelerating your heart rate by assuming you can't breathe and so you're fighting harder and thinking about your breathing don't do that.. you're pretty much forcing yourself into a panic. Just slow it down, don't think about it. Put it on and it should feel normal. We have guys that get this feeling when they put on a respirator for painting or gas mask on for CBRNE. You just gotta realize you don't need to breath any harder.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
My only worry when using my helmet is not being able to scratch certain parts of my head... itchiness + not being able to scratch really gets on my nerves!!!

OP, have you tried using the helmet while being a passenger on a bike?

It's a good idea to see how you react in a more "real" situation.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
My only worry when using my helmet is not being able to scratch certain parts of my head... itchiness + not being able to scratch really gets on my nerves!!!

OP, have you tried using the helmet while being a passenger on a bike?

It's a good idea to see how you react in a more "real" situation.
LOL yea I hate the head itch! I've gotten good at going zen mode when that happens and it eventually goes away. Or I'll shift my helmet around a bit in a lame attempt to rub the itchy spot.

OP has got the MSF coming up so that should be a good gauge of whether this is a real problem or not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When you put your lid on, do you have the visor down?
Good question.

I know I always try to keep the visor up when putting my lid on, or whenever I come to a stop.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
When you put your lid on, do you have the visor down?
Good question.

I know I always try to keep the visor up when putting my lid on, or whenever I come to a stop.
The reality still remains that he's gonna need to just deal with it/get used to it, but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am very claustrophobic myself.. helmets don't' bother me but entering tight spots give me the same symptoms. For me as long as I can see my way out of something I'm fine. I think saying "Man Up" is not a answer. I wouldn't say that to someone with a peanut allergy( sure take some nuts..Man up) My best answer is buy a open face helmet.. and you can always try to wear you full face one for really short periods at a time and work up to it (if you can).

Hope this helps

Bigjdoberman

+1 to this guy. an open face helmet should be your first step. Put on a good pair of shades/goggles to keep your eyes protected. I get claustrophobic in very certain situations too. Feels like my heart is gonna beat out of my chest. You definitely definitely definitely don't need that distraction while your riding on a motorcycle around a bunch of idiot cagers. Baby steps bro.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Control your breathing. Slow it down. Be normal about it. Having the helmet on does not hinder your breathing. You're probably accelerating your heart rate by assuming you can't breathe and so you're fighting harder and thinking about your breathing don't do that.. you're pretty much forcing yourself into a panic. Just slow it down, don't think about it. Put it on and it should feel normal. We have guys that get this feeling when they put on a respirator for painting or gas mask on for CBRNE. You just gotta realize you don't need to breath any harder.
Good thoughts right here.

I also agree with trying a different helmet -- maybe a modular so you can swing it open when the need arises.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have always worn 3/4 helmets for dirtbikes. When I got my 600 I was going to get a full face, but tried a couple on and not only had no peripheral vision, but also had the same claustrophobic feeling you all are describing so I got a 3/4. It was a low end full face so I think a higher quality helmet might help too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Great news, I started the course this week and I have not had problems wearing the helmet, that thing fits like a glove. The cheek pads are actually very comfortable now and it feels pretty good when it's on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Personally, I don't have fear in wearing helmets. Although the treatments may vary from each individual. Others faces their fears one step at a time by exposing to what triggers their anxiety. But in terms of helmet, I witness that some never put down their visor instead they wear eyeglasses as their protection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Listing the best helmets for riders with claustrophobia is our prime focus. But, the journey was not easy at all. You know what; availability of random products is really confusing. Without any hesitation, we must admit that it was a genuinely sweating job.
We were passionate and drove into the exploration.

Now, with confidence, we may present five promising helmets effective for claustrophobia.
In the lines coming next, you will shower with key information. Hopefully, every saying will seem to ensure the flawless service of a helmet. Let’s find those things in the next phases.

You will get the right helmets here for claustrophobia : helmets for riders with claustrophobia

21 - 37 of 37 Posts