Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating going down in that area for one last stint before storing the bike for the winter. I was wondering if it's seasonal down there. Is it feasible to head down there say the first or second weekend of November?? Also, does anybody have any reccomendations for planning a good 2 day trip there?? Hotels, packing list, etc.....

Thanks!!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
jstock107, As far as the weather goes, I think you'll just have to check before you go. Also, the weather at the top of the mountian may be different from the weather at the bottom of the mountian. So keep that in mind.

There is a Micro-Tel that is very bike freindly. They even have miniature parking spots JUST FOR BIKES right in front! They sell Deal's Gap T-shirts and stickers and other things too. Link below.

http://www.microtelinn.com/reservations/locationdetail.asp?facid=2002

I would say pack anything you think you might need for your bike in case of an emergency. There's only one local shop for bikes (That I know of) and they don't have an hourly rate! :shock:

I don't know if you have ever been but keep your eyes down the road for bikes and cars coming the other way to hunters with their trucks and dogs. Their everywhere! If you get caught by the PoPo just pull over. There's only one way in and one way out and they know the roads better than you or I. They also work in teams with a Helicopter. So just take your lashings and go home like a good boy. :mrgreen:

Good luck, be safe and smart and above all....Have a great time!!

Tim

·
Registered
284 Posts
Deals Gap can be seasonal. You should be Ok going in early November. Pack some warm weather gear.

Newredrider is right >> its considererably colder in the higher elevations.

I recommend staying at the Topoco Lodge if its still open. Its only a few miles to the start of the Dragon.

Check out tailofthedragon.com for more information!

Have a Good Time!

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
bgmat58 said:
Whats so great about that place? :shock: There werent many photos of the rode on that site?!
You'd have to see if to believe it! It's like a rollercoaster on two wheels! :thumbup: I wish I would have stopped and taken more pictures of just the roads but I was too busy having fun! The roads are super twisty and totally unforgiving. DON'T go into ANY of the turns without a RESERVE. A lot of these turns are blind, decreasing radius turns with NO room for error. I'm not trying to scare anyone away but don't disrespect the dragon.

We did the loop which is described on tailofthedragon's website. But this two dimensional picture doesn't even come close to doing the real road justice. Going from the base of the mountain in the real tight twisties up to the top and onto the big sweepers on the Cherohala Skyway was an absolute blast! We took some really good video of the ride. If Buncha can get some posted I'll share it with you guys.

PS Try the Mexican restaurant in Robbinsville. Awesome food!

Tim

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the info guys!! I am fortunate in that I can leave on short notice. I'm taking a new job and gave myself 3 weeks before I need to start. ;-) So I will watch the weather closely and see if it will work.

Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts