Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my bike monday (the 18th) and the only time i havent been on it is when im sleeping. ive put about 600 miles on it in a week and my hands are killing me! (mostly the left) i dont even think ill be able to ride tomorrow just because i cant pull in the clutch...let alone lift a glass of water lol, time for some mod work i guess. maybe guage lights or paint all my screw heads flat black if i cant buy black hardware (the bikes flat black) i dont know...i just wanna ride the damn thing.

·
Registered
901 Posts
1 move your body farther forward and take the weight off your hands

2 when ur at a light ( once there is a car stopped behind you ) kick it into neutral and let your clutch hand rest for a min .

3 ride with the ball of your foot on the pegs not the center of your foot beleave it or not this actually makes you place more weigt on ur legs and causes less fatiuge in the hands and arms ..

·
Registered
783 Posts

2 when ur at a light ( once there is a car stopped behind you ) kick it into neutral and let your clutch hand rest for a min .

3 ride with the ball of your foot on the pegs not the center of your foot beleave it or not this actually makes you place more weigt on ur legs and causes less fatiuge in the hands and arms ..
1+2 I already do, but 3 sounds like a great idea to try. Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts

+1...but i don't know why for me..i still get pain in the heel of my hands(less fatigue...just pain)I don't have a problem pulling in the clutch and what not...so i try and use my lower body muscles to hold me on the tanks so i don't have to use my hands. I've been riding mtn bicycle and road bicycle for a long time, and never had a problem with hand pain till the motorcycle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
+1 to those things listed.

Also, when my left starts to cramp up or get sore, usually in stop and go, instead of leaving my palm on the grip in squeezing the clutch in with my finger tips, I take my hand off the grip and put the pads of my fingers on the clutch lever, then i pull it back using my whole arm not just my fingers. try it once or twice and i think youll see what i mean. I feel you on the just getting your bike and not wanting to get off. I cant seem to even sleep all i wanna do is ride!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
[#]3 ride with the ball of your foot on the pegs not the center of your foot beleave it or not this actually makes you place more weigt on ur legs and causes less fatiuge in the hands and arms ..
#3 FTMFW. You need to ride with your weight on the seat and pegs not on your forearms. You should be able to steer with just your index finger and thumb on each clip-on.

Also bust out with some tank grips (e.g., stomp grips or tech specs), I need to get me a set, I'll probably go with the tech spec snakeskins. This way you can grip the tank with your knees and hold on to the bike with your legs and just use your arms for steering (not holding up your body).

I got tendonitis from riding my CBR like a n00b (my first bike had a more upright seating position and actual bars not clip-ons). Thankfully changing my riding/seating posture fixed that sh*t with a quickness.

·
Registered
327 Posts
New movements = exercising those little muscles you thought you never had. First week I had my bike, every little muscle was sore!

Maybe its from a previous injury or something?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ok, I had the same problem. You hands are hurting because you are putting too much weight on them while riding and also the vibration in the handle bars make them fall asleep of sorts. And this is the solution,

1) Get some grip pads, I have snake skin Techspec pads. After you install those you will find it so easy to hold the bike with your knees and then you can easily rest the hands.
2) When you ride you need to make sure that you hands are bent at elbows and never straight from shoulder to palm. And again once you have grip pads on the tank it will be much easier.
3) If you want a great help is to install heavier bar ends. This helps a ton, I tried the motivation weighted bar ends. They are much heavier than stock ones. I wonder if you have changed the bar ends to bar end sliders which are way lighter and could make the problem worst. But once you get used to 1) and 2) and you can do without the 3)

Also, I also try to let go of the clutch at stop lights when I know its not gonna turn green for a little while. Sometimes while riding you can rest your elbow on the gas tank for a few secs and relax your palms while keeping them on the handle bars.

All these helped me a lot and now I can ride comfortable. But you must install the grip pads and you wouldn't believe how much of difference they make

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
tanktredz or stompgrips will help you keep the weight off your hands as well because you can dig your knees into the tank easily and support your weight that way (that's what i do, and i've ridden 400 miles in one day and hands were fine).

·
Registered
906 Posts
A lot of people don't adjust the position of the levers when they get a new bike. Do it!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
But that only causes the problem when you use the breaks or clutch lever. I think his hands are hurting because he is putting too much weight on hands. This was my first sportbike and just the change is riding position causes you to put too much weight on ur hands if you came from bike where you sit straight up like in a cruiser. But, I may be wrong.

And if he is having problem pulling the clutch in then moving it lover may help. I moved it a little lower too :)

A lot of people don't adjust the position of the levers when they get a new bike. Do it!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
part of your problem is that your hands aren't accumstomed to riding your bike yet, but the bigger part is that your weight distribution is off. keep your elbows down near the same horizontal plane as your hands/handlebars, back relatively straight, 70% weight on pegs, head forward, arms bent. those parameters work perfect for me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
as you ride more and relax a little bit more over time you will naturally release your death grip and your hands will hurt less

·
Registered
712 Posts
yea its mainly the death grip thats messing up your hands. i was experiencing that. i catch myself doing that and have to remind myself to loosen up on the grips and bend my arms.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Also keep your wrists below your hand. Like they learned me in MSF.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

i pretty much do all of those already. i ride balls to the tank lol and i always put it into neutral at a light (unless i know its about to change). lately if im just cruising on really smooth pavement ill take my left hand off the handle bar completely and rest it on my leg. i will have to try the position of my feet tho, thanks!

i think it was just how much riding i did this weekend. all i do for work is drive to a bunch of grocery stores in the middle of the night (16 to be exact). so i decided to use my bike for work. well here was my schedule. Saturday from 9am to 330pm i had to ride to a different county to take part 1 of this class for my probation then from there i got a head start on work and drove another 40 miles doin my stops till like 7pm then went home. at 2am (did NOT sleep inbetween) i went to finish the rest of my stops (another 50mi of riding), got done at like 6am then i had to be back at that stupid class at 830 so i had to ride back to rosieville till about 2pm then back home. so yeah pretty sure that did it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
heard jacking off helps strengthen your wrists, forearms, and, depending on how crazy you get at hooking yourself up...even your whole arm gets buff. but make sure you switch off hands...so you get ripped on both arms.

:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts