Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was an easy quick way to decrease the amount of engine breaking you get....maybe some sort of power commander or something of that nature. I know an Ecu flash can accomplish this but I heard it's pointless on a 600 so looking for a simpler solution. I like engine breaking but 13 600rr has heavy engine breaking. Thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
The 600rr doesn't have particularly strong engine braking IMO but if you're looking to reduce it effectively then a slipper clutch is the way to go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
An ecu flash of a HRC ecu will allow you to reduce true engine braking.

The slipper clutch helps on a hard downshift where you are trying to match wheel speed and engine speed based on gear.

When you have matched those engine braking will take over.How quickly you bike slows after that has to be adjusted electronically.

That's how i think of it anyhow.

For example: go into a sharp corner and downshift 2 gears, with a slipper clutch it would help match the rpm's from let's say 13k-8k then from 8k-4k before accelerating again you engine braking would take over.
Engine braking (stock) will be more on a 600cc bike than a 250 that is for sure.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
As stated earlier the 13 RR has neither heavy nor light engine braking characteristics so it's more than likely just something to get used to.

If this is a newer bike to you I'd suggest going a gear or two higher to minimize the engine braking effect and work on smooth up and downshifts blipping the throttle to rev-match as you downshift as things that may help as well.

If you feel you still need some help, a Power Commander has been known to help reduce the sudden from on to off feel of the throttle and help reduce engine braking somewhat which could be benifitial to you. Be far cheaper and easier to install than a slipper clutch which I personally feel are far more hype than function for 90% of riders and are pretty overrated if you can shift properly. Skip the ECU flash, though, on a Honda.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An ecu flash of a HRC ecu will allow you to reduce true engine braking.

The slipper clutch helps on a hard downshift where you are trying to match wheel speed and engine speed based on gear.

When you have matched those engine braking will take over.How quickly you bike slows after that has to be adjusted electronically.

That's how i think of it anyhow.

For example: go into a sharp corner and downshift 2 gears, with a slipper clutch it would help match the rpm's from let's say 13k-8k then from 8k-4k before accelerating again you engine braking would take over.

Engine braking (stock) will be more on a 600cc bike than a 250 that is for sure.

Does that make sense?

Yes this does make sense I guess I'm just kind of being lazy lol my ability to rev match is pretty good since I got the 600 so I can definitely shift correctly maybe I just need to work with the clutch more and just deal lol It's not a make or break issue just being lazy

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was an easy quick way to decrease the amount of engine breaking you get....maybe some sort of power commander or something of that nature. I know an Ecu flash can accomplish this but I heard it's pointless on a 600 so looking for a simpler solution. I like engine breaking but 13 600rr has heavy engine breaking. Thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks

Hondas are pretty reliable bikes, so it won't be real easy breaking the engine......however, if you are interested in reducing engine braking, the above posts offer some good insight! :laugh:

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I've tried engine breaking my 600RR until I got to 35,000 miles then I gave up. These damn Honda's are pretty damn reliable, dammit!

·
Registered
11 Posts
No engine breaking here, never had a problem. Tech on engines this days are waaaay better than when you really need to break in, same with oils. Never read engine break in secrets from moto man?

·
Registered
617 Posts
could always install some block off plates. I've heard it decreases the engine braking "abruptness". I did it, and honestly I dont feel much of a difference

1 - 12 of 12 Posts