Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this weekend i went for a little ride with 2 other guys. The sun was just starting to set and we were on a long straight. i was the 3rd bike i was prolly about 75 feet from the guy in front of me and out of nowhere a deer runs out and clips the back of his bike. He was doing prolly 85 and i was doing 90 behind him. I see the deer hit him then run to the side of the road. My friend that got hit just kinda wobbled a little but was fine. I started to slow down i got down to about 70 and the deer steps back in the road right in my lane and stars at me. I locked up both tires and just missed it by a few feet..

i guess the moral of this story or the reason i am posting it is i would advise people to stay on the track.. If you are on the road just be careful. Know the roads and your surroundings. We got lucky this time..

So just take it easy on the roads

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Glade you and your buddy came out alright!!!! Deer are very unpredictable, never know if they are going to run out in front of you....Aways slow down when you see one...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it was on some highway that i ride on every once and a while i know the roads very well but you never know when a deer pops out..

also on the ride a pack of about 6 or 7 possums came running across the road almost hitting us

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bagged a deer back in 1998 on a VFR 800....stupid animals....good eatin' though :)

Roll Tide!

·
Registered
39 Posts
anybody ever install those deer whistles on their bike? Do they even work? I know it may look gay, but after a few close calls i am willing to try them. Where do you think would be the best place to install them? Can't help but think a bug or dirt could get inside of them and ruin their effectivness, but what do u guys think?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
anybody ever install those deer whistles on their bike? Do they even work? I know it may look gay, but after a few close calls i am willing to try them. Where do you think would be the best place to install them? Can't help but think a bug or dirt could get inside of them and ruin their effectivness, but what do u guys think?
" Georgia's Game and Fish Department, for example, found that in hundreds of observations from vehicles equipped with deer whistles, deer didn't respond. Whistles on vehicles going 25-30 mph produced no ultrasonic sound, although some ultrasonic and lower frequencies were produced when the whistles were blown by mouth. According to wildlife biologists at the University of Georgia, neither deer nor humans can hear ultrasonic sound. Whistles blown by mouth near captive deer produce no response.
A University of Wisconsin study found that three types of whistle did produce low-pitched and ultrasonic sounds at speeds of 30 to 70 miles per hour; however, researchers were unable to verify that deer responded to the sounds, even at distances well below the distances from which manufacturers claim the whistles are heard. Moreover, deer would only be able to hear the whistles if there were a straight shot between the deer and the whistle. If curves, trees, or other obstacles came between the deer and the whistle, the device would be ineffective."

However, "Before he discovered deer whistles, a supervisor for an Arkansas utility came up with his own plan to scare deer off dark country roads. He taped the barking of his neighbors' dogs, rigged an amplified speaker to the front of his truck and then broadcast the tape as he cruised down highways. But he abandoned the scheme, amid concern that the barking was not only scaring deer, but awakening residents of southern Arkansas."

·
Registered
901 Posts
ive seemed to notice that deer are less likely to run out in front of me with my vehicles that have hids i dunno if its coincidance or not .. i wonder if there has ever been a study on this ... but on my 03 no hids they ran out infront of me all the time my 07 with hids they just stand there never run out infront of me .. same with my different cars .. seems like there not as attracted to the hids ..

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
ive seemed to notice that deer are less likely to run out in front of me with my vehicles that have hids i dunno if its coincidance or not .. i wonder if there has ever been a study on this ... but on my 03 no hids they ran out infront of me all the time my 07 with hids they just stand there never run out infront of me .. same with my different cars .. seems like there not as attracted to the hids ..
Could easily be true - HIDs project more light than halogens, so you'll have more penetration into the brush from further away. Also, halogen light is softer and more yellow, which may not be as frightening to animals as HID pure white.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts