Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, what can you tell me about my engine based on this sparkplug? Did this break as I was removing it with the Honda tool or could it have broken while the engine was running?

Bit of a background ... one night I was riding the RPMs significantly decreased and the sound of the engine changed quite a bit. I got off the highway and noticed a long trail of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I was still able to ride, but I could tell something was definitely very wrong so I shut the bike off and walked it home (i was less than a mile away, luckily). It felt like a cylinder wasnt firing. My first guess on the smoke was coolant, but not sure. I have everything taken apart and have been trying to disgnose the issue by inspecting each part that gets taken off. Im down to the valve shims at this point and nothing seems to be glaringly wrong other than two of the sparkplugs (see the attached pic). Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
CBRCHRIS
108 Posts
The plug shows signs of excessive oil burning probably from worn valve guides or piston rings, when the insulater tip breaks it could be from detonation from wrong timing or overheating issues once this happens that piece tends to scare the hell out of the bore walls then on its way out mangles the exhaust valves up. Valve shims only affects the valve clearances it wouldn’t cause smoke or oil burning of any kind just chatty head noise and reduced power. Overheating causes head warping and gasket failures related to white smoke.

·
Registered
59 Posts
definitely oil fouled. Rings/guides/stem seals probably.

I'd just put in a set of new plugs and try it out. Might get many more miles out of it yet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts